Throttle body "optimization"?

Fuel quality has nothing to do with carbon buildup in GDI engines, and fuel additives can’t do anything to alleviate it.

Surprisingly (or not) intake tract carboning is more of a problem with GDI engines than conventionally injected ones. Oil vapor finds its way into the intake via the PCV system and either EGR or intake/exhaust valve overlap bring exhaust gases into the intake as well. Often it’s not just the throttle body but the entire intake tract including the valves that carbon up.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/

I don’t think your car needs quite the treatment that BMW and many Minis require, but that’s an example to show it’s not completely bogus.

Remember, the dealer service department is the one that sees and knows about pattern failures on your car, as in the service bulletin Nevada posted above. If the dealer sees a pattern of failure or needed unscheduled service on certain engines, wouldn’t they be doing you a service by recommending a maintenance procedure that could prevent that?

Another factor contributing to buildup behind valve stem heads is the minute amount of oil (or more than minute in some cases…) that is pulled past the valve stem seals.

The service writer is optimizing his sales commission check…

I looked at the link asemaster provided for cleaning the BMW intake.
After seeing how often it has to be cleaned; and how involved it is to put the car in “sleep” mode, I think BMW must stand for “Beat Me Witless”.