The Upcoming Extinction of the SUV

It’s more expensive to make ladder frame vehicles pass crash tests. My 4 Runner actually had a unibody on top of a ladder frame. Trucks of old did not have that requirement…you got to die in a cheaper vehicle of your choice.

I think that it is all just a natural evolution. There are many causes, which have been mentioned, and each different model is a different effect.

Obviously the 4 runner is stuck somewhere in the evolutionary process. It began it’s life as a truck with a camper shell, and pretty soon, it sounds like it’s going to morph into a 1 ton diesel minivan with euro style AWD and titanium ladder frame.
Now, where do I attach the chrome trucknuts?

I am not certain that the evolutionary procsss is a good thing either for living organisms or vehicles. We really liked our Ford Aerostar minivan and were quite unhappy when it “evoluted” to the Windstar minivan. The Aerostar had a frame while the Windstar was unibody. As far as evolution of living organisms is concerned, we haven’t evolved here in Indiana. With the passage by our legislature of the religious freedom act, we are still apes.

Right now, the 4 a Runner replaces the CJ as well as it’s legacy as a ligit off road SUV. That it still has a ladder frame is not unusual. Toyota views off road a little differently then most. To them, off road is not off pavement as most modern SUVS would have you believe. Jeep literally sells a sham with styling cues that copy their real off roaders like the Wrangler and plasters them on raised " cars" with a logo like…" Trail rated" ; their trails ( the faux SUVS ) are unpaved driveways.

All due respect, I come here to debate oil filter quality and such, not politics.

?

Jeep usually advertises their vehicles blasting through loose powder snow,a different critter then deep heavy wet snow or sleet(all bumpers should match heights)

^
You can count me as somebody else who is confused, texases, as the OP seemed to be overly concerned about the demise of full-frame SUVS, and oil filters were not part of this discussion.

However, because of this part of his original post–“But if I’m wrong, why have deceptive add campaigns?”–perhaps the OP actually wants to discuss the four basic functions of mathematics.

This whole thread is a waste of cyber space.

This whole thread is a waste of cyber space.

Most of cyber-space IS a waste!

Well my only question is if we evolved from apes, why are there still apes and will they then evolve into other types of humanoids? Its the same unanswerable question of where the universe ends and if it ends, what is it contained in? And if its contained in something, where does that end? Gives me a headache so I just don’t worry about it. Maybe I’ll find out someday but maybe not.

So let the trucks evolve as the market demands and accepts and if not, there’ll be a few more bankruptcies.

Sorry suv haters, I used to be one, till I had to decide between a boat hauler or another boat. Tralblazer 22mpg hwy, not too terrible, but the new suv wanna be do not even come with a hitch. The 4wd auto, only kicks in when needed or 2wd only to increase gas mileage are all I ever use. I do not want or need an extended cab pickup, as noted options are getting fewer.

I was referring to the line about Indiana legislation…

I meant to say that I came to Cartalk.com to discuss trivial things like SUVs and oil filters, maybe get advice about transmissions and tires… not to discuss politics.

So @Barkydog , you came over to the dark side.

@dagosa Seems better than staying on the light side with my 03 ranger with 2wd, that I had to get 6 guys sitting in the back to pull the boat out of a pea gravel launch, lucky there was a bar with a deck and guys saw my trouble and piled in. At the other launch, a sand launch had to call a bud with the 4wd truck to yank the boat. He had a stroke, so I was on my own and no problem with the tb. I live 5 miles from work, ride my bike a couple of days a week weather permitting, so probably use less gas than most average drivers on a weekly basis, so no anti green flack please.

Oh, you get non from me what so ever. We live on the lake and nearly everyone has something to tow a boat. I launch at the shore so everything gets in with my tractor and I can easily survive with a compact truck. 4 wd is absolutly necessary for safe launching in unknown areas…the heavier the better. Back when I was younger I road my bike to work two days a week in the spring and fall…it was twenty miles…did I say, back when I was YOUNGER.

My 4 Runner actually had a unibody on top of a ladder frame.

That would appear to be a contradiction in terms.

We didn’t evolve from apes. We are apes. There are several species of apes, and we happen to be the most warlike, that’s all. :wink:

I’ve had people make fun of me because my truck isn’t a “real” truck. It’s an old Mitsubishi Mighty Max mini truck. It actually has a higher load capacity than a Ridgeline, which made it funny when the guy in the Ridgeline was giving me crap about the “POS little midgetmobile.”

Really, people don’t get that you need what you need and no more. Lotta people in my neighborhood with giant trucks that sound like semis. Sometimes they haul mulch in them. That’s what I do with my truck, only I paid well over an order of magnitude less for mine, and mine doesn’t swallow up my whole driveway when I park it.

Same story with SUVs. They buy SUVs because they want a vehicle that can climb Mt. Everest, and then never even climb a curb with them. It’s dumb.

You forgot the Hummer.

Anyway, I haven’t researched the trends, mainly because I doubt if the data would be categorized by full-frame vs. unibody, but there’s a whole lot of farmland and ranchland between NYC and LA, and I cannot imagine a farmer or rancher getting by without an SUV. Based on that alone I cannot imagine SUVs disappearing. Midwesterners would probably be puzzled by the question.

OK4450 and other Midwesterners, what say you?

As the cross-overs become more capable more and more of us are choosing a cross over.

I need something to two a pop-up trailer 7-10 times a year. 10 years ago when I bought my 4runner not one cross-over could safely tow my trailer. I now own a 2014 Highlander and it can easily tow my pop-up.