The rental car shortage is not just in Hawaii

It was just the date on the article 1 May 21 instead of May 1, 21, following military and EU protocol. Gotta admit there hasn’t been much going on here. In measuring I often set my caliper to metric because it’s easier to calculate but we have a whole lot of existing structures that don’t fit metric and not worth the 100 years to convert. Ever buy gas in Canada with liters or Imperial gallons or liters in Europe and try and convert the cost? I’ll stick with gallons.

So I was working on a piece of equipment and checked one of the bolts and it was 9/16, so grabbed my SAE sockets. Then discovered that none of the other bolts fit the SAE, so went back to get the metric sockets and wrenches. Just a little irritating is all realizing 9/16th has a metric equivalent. It’s great for socket salespeople, but then the ratchets themselves are still 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 and all the holes in the metric sockets are SAE.

I heard somewhere that U-Hauls hadn’t gone up, savvy tourists were renting them instead. I guess as long as you secure your children well they’ll be safe.

Looks like they don’t charge any more for at least a pickup or small moving truck than my local U-Haul does. Locally Enterprise and Home Depot are about the same on pricing to rent a full size truck for a day.

please ignore, read a post wrong.

I have wondered about that I also wonder if it is the same in other countrys that are metric all the way.

once I was on a big technology conference and was waiting for rental behind ~15 other people in a line and the rental company’ clerk was calling the local dealer asking to get a rush delivery of cars to meet their increased demand… trailer with a bunch of cars showed up like a magic… and 30 or so minutes later I was leaving the lot on a fresh Ford Fiesta with some of plastic not yet torn from the interior controls :slight_smile:

Boy your experience was different than mine. The last car I rented was in Columbus, OH. I don’t remember which company but there just plain were no cars (and had a reservation). Because I had the membership, the counter person sent me up to the parking area to coral a car. Finally by hook or crook they found me the only car available. One of those three door whoever made it. Mystery rear hatch opening so luggage through 3rd side door, etc. Even worse car than the two year old FCA. Even in Florida I have had a very limited selection of vehicles available. Best selection was in Phoenix.

One of the things that I found… curious… about Saabs, back in the '50s & '60s, is that they used bolts that conformed to English/SAE measurements. Whether that practice persisted into the '70s & beyond, I have no idea, but I know for a fact that the early Saabs did not use metric-standard bolts.

1 Like

Wasn’t the original Saab 4 cylinder based on a Triumph engine?

Edit - yes, they originally used a Triumph engine in the 99, then brought that engine in-house and modified it further for the 99 and the 900.

Are you referring to the Saab 2-cycle engines?
The original Saabs that were made immediately after WW II utilized DKW-designed 3 cylinder, 2-cycle engines. When sales began to pick up and customers demanded more power, they redesigned the old DKW engine, and expanded it to 4 cylinders, but it was still a 2-cycle engine.

To the best of my recollection, they went from that straight-4, 2-cycle engine to the totally superior 4-cycle V-4 that they bought from Ford of Germany. I don’t recall any engines other than the DKW-derived 2 cycle engines, and the Ford-sourced V-4s.

Of course, later on, beginning with the 99 model, Saab began to use engines of their own design. Whether that was related to a Triumph engine, I have no clue.

Yep, it was a Triumph engine.

Okay, but that was definitely not the original Saab 4-cylinder engine.
:wink:

You are correct, sir!

1 Like