The Great Gas Cap Conundrum

Most other cars have it on the left for laziness and sloppy driver reasons.

That’s a silly reason. With that logic like that a manufacturer would design a vehicle specifically for lazy slobs. Are vehicles like , for example, a Ford Windstar designed for lazy people? No way! Can you imagine salesman saying “this car has a left hand fuel fill, it’s perfect for you since your a lazy slob”. Just joking, but it is a lame idea.

Or maybe it depends on the county of origin and if they drive on the left or right side???

I buy that reason. Tester’s reason for having it on the right makes perfect sense, so why else would the fill get put on the left? Shorter distance for the driver to walk. I’m not saying it’s a selling point for vehicles, because it shouldn’t be.

So, Linda’s question makes me wonder if I’m some kind of inconsiderate fool. Are there really unofficial lanes for cars depending on the fill side? I have a right side fill, so I just drive in whatever way I want, even if I’m backwards compared to the car in front of me. Is it really so hard to back up?

I have an “Asian” car with the filler on the driver’s side. It’s a 2006 Accord. But my wife’s Subaru has it on the passenger side. My Isuzu pickup has it on the Driver’s side. My Fiat “project” car I forget since it hasn’t been able to get to a gas station under its own power in quite some time, but I think it’s on the driver’s side. On my current motorcycle it’s in the middle, but my last motorcycle had it under the seat on the left. I remember old Jaguars had one on each side.

I don’t think there is a “standard”.

Or maybe it depends on the county of origin and if they drive on the left or right side???

Every german car I’ve ever owned has it on the right, and they drive on the right side. Maybe it isn’t a standard, just a tradition.

BTW, have you ever seen where they are located on (at least some) mini-vans; they are directly in the way of that silly sliding door, brilliant design.

You will scratch the paint with the grit in the hose if you drag it across the car to a filler on the opposite side.

It sounds like a pretty good selection process. If you run out of gas, you’re dead.

That is tough at busy stations when you are in the minority.

The problem exists when the station is busy enough to have lines at the pumps. If there are two islands (so four “lanes” and more than 3/4 the cars have fillers on the left, the only way for all the right-hand fillers to get by is to jump in front of somebody.

If this station has only 4 cars at a time there would be no issue. If it has the same number (or fewer) customers as pumps at a time it’s not really a problem, but might get confusing. When the lines build up you can get chaos.

And yes, I have a particular station in mind, on the corner near my house. Its price is cheap enough the lines fill the approaches to the fuel islands.

Yeah, I can remember Volkswagen touting passenger-side filling (on the old Beetle) as a safety feature, so you didn’t have to stand in traffic to refill from a can. They didn’t say anything about the gas tank in front being a safety feature!

Most gas stations have traffic entering the pump island from both directions, so usually it’s not too much of a hassle to find an empty lane “on the right”. Or, you can back in. I suppose it would be nice if filler location was consistent, to eliminate even these minor problems. Maybe always on the driver’s side?

I never have a problem, there are usually lines going both directions anyway. My fillers are on the correct (right) side and I also have to use the island with the diesel pumps. My only problem is driving my old POS jeep (which is a problem in itself) that has the filler on the incorrect side, I always forget I’m driving a mutant vehicle and pull up on the wrong side for that filler. I hate that jeep.

So did the '57 BelAir (behind the left tail tight.