The government blows it, again (why we have no compact pickups)

Being set in my ways I will most likely keep a pickup handy for the foreseeable future. They are quite handy for me. I would hate to try to get by without one.

I don’t blame you. If there weren’t advantages, I wouldn’t be considering a midsize pickup.

I Agee 100% Rod
but for me, only in the larger intermediate and full size. The only advantage my compact early Mazda and Toyota trucks in 4wd had over the intermediates of today, was off road. They were superb with their shorter wheel base and narrow tracks. But, they rode and handled like crap and felt like I should be wearing a helmet before I made a sudden lane change.

2wd city dwelling delivery use with occasional trips to the dump or 4wd baja runs, sure.

Actually, I’ve had a trailer for years and has served me well for hauling junk, gravel, you name it. Its at a better height for shoveling sand and loading lawn mowers etc. In the past a car could easily pull a 1 ton trailer. The problem now is that a lot of the cars do not allow any towing. My G6 will still handle 1500# but nothing for the Acura. So all I would be interested in is something smaller that can pull a trailer.

Almost had a solution.

@dagosa - Not impressed with the gas mileage. My S-15 with the 2.8l got better gas mileage. And the Nissan pathfinder selling Europe and South America with a 4-cylinder Diesel Turbo gets 30mpg.

I’m amazed they can’t do better then that.

“A minivan can do everything a compact truck can do and more.”

What you all are saying is all true, but an SUV with a trailer is not a minivan. My post was in response to Whitey’s above statement. Minivans are great, but they can’t compete with a compact pickup
or with an SUV with a trailer. A compact truck with a trailer adds even more flexability.

Getting back to the original question, I think the market pace has been a bigger factor in the demise of the conpact pickup than the government. While I personally perform a compact pickup, it seems like the moment Ford made their F150 gigantic, everybody bought one.

What you all are saying is all true, but an SUV with a trailer is not a minivan. My post was in response to Whitey's above statement. Minivans are great, but they can't compete with a compact pickup.....or with an SUV with a trailer. A compact truck with a trailer adds even more flexability.

Last pickup I owned was my 84 S-15. Next vehicle was a 1990 Pathfinder. And the first thing I bought after the Pathfinder was on a utility trailer. I still have that trailer
and use it all the time. It has advantages and disadvantages. I can trailer over 2 ton
There’s no way you can put the bed of a small to mid-size pickup. But the pickup has a nice advantage of a maneuverability. Lot easier to backup a pickup into a tight space then a trailer.

I must be just getting older and crankier but CNNMoney had an article today on the top 10 American TRUCKS. The only one with an open bed was the Dodge. All the rest to me were SUVs or what I would call large station wagons. What’s wrong with these people?? Both CNN and the MFG must be going nutty if vehicles with an open bed are going to become rare. I just don’t get it. I don’t think its the gov at all. We get what we deserve, but what’s wrong with these car execs in the first place?

Then another article on the disappointing Dodge Dart-big surprise. 4 cyl, straight stick, ugly two tone upholstery, and the rear end looks like a 15 year old design. Fiat and Chrysler in a design meeting-Fiat gets the front end and Chrysler gets to design the back end. “Hey Harry, pull that design file from 1985 that we used before will ya? It’ll save a lot of work.”

Now whats so hard? My snappy G6 has a V6, good mileage, comfortable, good standard options, the seats in back fold down so I can haul 10’ 2x4s or pipe, paddle shift automatic, and will pull a trailer. Oh that’s right its a Pontiac and they don’t make them anymore. Sheesh. Just what we need is a bunch of new SUVs that all look the same except the ugly Audi, at twice the cost of a G6, that they now classify at trucks instead of large station wagons? Nothing these things will do that a 1958 Chevy wagon wouldn’t.

Every configuration has advantages and disadvantages. SUVs with trailers are the most versatile for most applications.

Mike, it seems the Mahindra pick up just couldn’t meet the emission standards without lots of modification and loss of mileage. They didn’t plan on just sticking a tractor motor into a small truck not being able to handle it. That is the biggest reason for all those unfulfilled dreams of small pick ups with diesels.