The death of our Civic?

Is the engine really destroyed?

I have a 99 Civic. I once put on a filter that I had from previous car. I checked the filter to see if the diameter of the seal was the same- it was. However, the thickness of the gasket was incorrect. So althought the filter was tight on, the gasket was not tight against the engine. Discovered on the test drive and the oil light came on.

Another time, the filter gasket didn’t come off the engine. Discovered the problem (double gasket @keith) when I felt the gasket on installing the new filter.

Well lets just move forward… You had over 200K on the engine…and while Ive seen well over this mileage on Honda engines…Yours seems to have met an “early” demise… That said…see if the shop that changed the oil will install a “new/used” engine for you at little or no cost… In fact you should see if they will buy and install a used Honda engine for you…They dont cost much used…and are an easy swap relatively.

If your vehicle is in good condition…and is ready to motor down the road some more…I would go with a used Honda motor…Ive seen them as low as 300 to 500 bucks…Install usually around 500 also.

Present this scenario to the shop… Ask them to meet you halfway on a used engine installation…You cover half…they cover half…AND install it for free or little cost. Tell them that this is an excellent opportunity to make this situation right…AND AVoid COURT and bad publicity. They may be quite receptive…never know till you ask.

Blackbird