Texting while operating dangerous heavy equipment

And I still contend texting while walking is several magnitudes less likely to cause injury to anyone compared to texting while driving. Probably well over 100:1 difference

Had an evening meeting at church and came out to the parking lot to see a girl riding her bike all over the parking lot with cell phone in one hand and steering with the other. Not looking very carefully where she was going. I was afraid she was going to run into my new car. I said Pokemon? and she said yeah and continued circling around the lot. We just seem to go from one distraction to the next.

A columnist with my local newspaper just posted his comments on this topic, and I want to share them with everyone because I think that they are pretty good:

I always wondered why some sober people are so upset with sobriety checks. I gladly wait the few minutes if it means some drunk is pulled off the road.

3 Likes

As an example of being oblivous while texting consider the man in Norman, OK who was killed a few days ago.

He was absorbed with his phone while walking down the middle of a set of heavily traveled railway tracks.

Heā€™s the 3rd person in the past month killed there on railway tracks.

Whatā€™s next kurt? How will you feel when they stop you walking somewhere to pat you down for guns or drugs? Maybe even multipe times a day. I mean, itā€™s worth a few minutes to get those off the streets too, right? Just where do YOU draw the line? This is why I said itā€™s a slippery slope.

Well, one of the major candidates for POTUS advocates the widespread use of ā€œstop & friskā€, despite the fact that it has been ruled an unconstitutional infringement of our liberties.
Because I donā€™t want to veer into politics, I wonā€™t identify that candidate, but I will say that if you glance at a carton of Tropicana orange juice, you might guess the candidate to whom I am referring.

:tangerine:

1 Like

ā€œā€¦stop-and-frisk program was carried out in a manner that violated the U.S. Constitutionā€¦ā€

Despite popular believe, stop & frisk is NOT unconstitutional !!! A New York judge found that the practice was carried out in a manner that violated the U.S. Constitution, but never ruled it unconstitutional or to be stopped completely.

The POTUS you are referring to was completely correct in his response at the debate and the other candidate was completely wrong when she said it was ruled unconstitutional. BTW, I do not belong to either party.

But Iā€™ve got a pretty good feeling, which candidate will get your vote :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s called natural selection. See Darwin awards.

1 Like

Your papers please.

sgtrock, do you realize this is a year old thread?

I am well aware the thread is a year old. I had a couple of comments I wanted to post. Since it is ongoing safety related I would have commented if it was 10 years old.