Teenage Daily Driver - What to Buy with $3000

In that case, I stand with my statement that some of these old folks have forgotten what it was like to be young. You earned this money, and if you want something cool, I think you deserve it.

I think you should see if you can find a 1992-1996 Honda Prelude in your price range. They are quite sporty, fun, and reliable. Here is a picture.

My second choice would be a Toyota Celica, any year that you can find in your price range in good shape.

Not particularly helpful, but highly amusing - Top Gear contest to see which type of car is best for a teenager. The contest begins at the program’s beginning, and resumes at 40:00.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-Season-13-2_692073.htm

My two daughters drove 5-speed Volvo 240s in high school. They did not appreciate driving cars that looked like kitchen appliances, but they learned to take care of a car while driving a safe, reliable, practical, economical, cheap-to-insure, vehicle. Half-way through college, when they had proven that they could care for a car and not wreck it, they switched to 3-series BMWs. Much ‘cooler’, and still safer and more practical than most people think (if you do your own maintenance).

Tyler,
I agree that you need a balance between reliability, economy and fun/coolness factors. I would recommend you consider a Honda. We have owned four in our family, both new and used, holding on to one Civic for seventeen years. They are great cars - I know several mechanics who have bought them for family members. Good luck in your search. Take your time to find the right car. Sounds like you are really thinking this through.

Take a look at a 1998 Acura Integra.

One thing to keep in mind - teenage males often pay a BIG insurance premium for 2 door cars. You might put your ‘top 10’ list together and talk it over with your agent before you make a decision. $3000 can be a small part of the costs you’ll face.

Hey guys, thanks for responding, glad I could change a few minds :slight_smile:

To be frank I’m not altogether that interested in sports cars. Well, that’s a lie, I love them, but I don’t want to own one… yet. When I do buy a sports car, it’s going to be a real sports car. With the exception of a miata, if my good sense snaps I’m running out to get one of those :stuck_out_tongue:

This part is directed towards commensense, but it’s relevant to anyone kind enough to give me some advice.

I’m really more interested in a mid to large size sedan or hatchback, preferably with a stick shift. I am partial to luxury cars, but mostly for the leather seats and spaciousness. Decent fuel economy is preferred, around twenty mpg would be sufficient. Mostly I’d be driving myself and my girlfriend, but I’d like to be able to cram five people in if I need to, maybe more like in a station wagon. The car needn’t be a chick magnet- I have a wonderful girlfriend- but it would be a nice plus.

So I’m going to go ahead and pose a few cars I’ve found and hope for more feedback…
Jeep Wrangler (reputed to be unreliable, but they’re cool…)
Mazda 929 (90s)
Mitsubishi Diamante (90s)
Lexus SC300 / 400 (90s)
Infiniti Q45 (my dad has a 1992 one, talk about a sleeper)
Subaru Legacy

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks For Narrowing This Down, A Little. I Too Like Larger, Luxury Type Cars And The Smell And Feel Of Leather.

I can’t help with the Japanese cars on your list as none are sold near me, new or used. I don’t think you should let the “unreliability” reputation of a Wrangler deter you, but that gets away from “luxury and leather” a bit. I know a guy who drove one for years, nearly trouble-free. How long have they made that four-door (Wrangler ?) Jeep? Maybe you could look at that.

I think you might regret it later if you don’t go the “leather and spacious” route. I really enjoy a very quiet ride. You don’t fully appreciate it until you have it.

By the way, some on this site are sticklers about communication skills, including, spelling, grammar, mechanics, political views, etcetera, and are concerned that the younger folks are losing it all. You’re doing great! I like the paragraphs! That’s been another issue. There are some gnarly people here who eat nice men and women alive if they blow it on communication skills (Just joking!{?}).

CSA

I’ve stayed out of this until now. You’ve been getting good advice and I don’t like to “me too” very often. Anyway, if you can find one in your price range a Toyota Solara might fit your desires. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Solara

The Honda Accord Coupe is a competitor and also worth a look. The thing about Honda and Toyota brand is the top end of their mid-size cars can be as luxurious as their luxury brand Acura and Lexus but at a lower price. They sell stipped versions, but there are also some nicely optioned ones.

This seems to contradict your original post a little. You don’t want a generic econobox, but a hatchback or something like a station wagon is okay? You are all over the map! That’s okay. I am the same way when I think about my next car. Sometimes I want a street legal dune buggy, and sometimes I want an old police cruiser. I just can’t seem to make up my mind.

Keep in mind that SUVs like the Wrangler are not forgiving of the mistakes common among young drivers. This morning on my way to work, I saw a young driver overturn a Jeep Liberty because of inattention. I was behind the Jeep in the left lane. First the left wheels went off the road. Then the driver over-corrected to steer the Jeep back into the lane. Then she over-corrected two more times, almost driving into oncoming traffic, and it rolled over a few times before coming to a rest on its tires. If this young person had been in a car, I don’t think it would have overturned, and it might have been more forgiving of the over-corrections, especially if it had been a small car. I don’t know if she was texting or reaching for her coffee, but we all make mistakes, especially when we are young. If you make a mistake like that in a car, you are more likely to survive the experience than if you are in a Wrangler.

hatchback, preferably with a stick shift

To me, this means one thing: a late 1990’s Subaru Impreza Outback wagon. Great car, reliable, roomy for a small wagon, versatile, great in bad weather (all wheel drive), fun to drive with the stick shift. You can pick up a nice one for under $3500. Good luck!

Before you count out your hard-earned money, check with your insurance agent and have the SELLER provide a brand new, fresh, valid, emissions test…

“Coolness” is expensive. $3000-$3500 will not buy both cool and reliable. You like Wranglers? Dig around for a 2wd one…Still cool, but MUCH cheaper. Nobody will notice the missing 4wd button/lever…For the money, you can live without 4wd…

Good Advice, Whitey. However, Tyler H. Here Isn’t Your Stereotypical Teen-Ager.
He’s A Class Act And Has It Together! I Don’t Think He’d Drive Like The Stereotypical Blonde SUV Driver.

Besides that, are you saying it’s not O.K. to drink a Latte and text your BFF while driving an SUV?

CSA

Agreed on the insurance thing. It’s helped me weed out a few ideas on my own car hunting trips.
Nothing like the sticker shock you get when you purchase a $3000 “model X” car, only to find out you’re gonna spend that each year on insurance alone.

“…interested in a mid to large size sedan…”

You need a Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria, no question about it.

First, you will never find a luxury car for $3000.00. For that kind of money you can
get a 1995 or 1996 Saturn S series and that’s about all.

By the way, who picks these silly questions out for all of us to answer?

Can’t someone with CarTalk pick a more intelligent question for us to answer?

It’s The Same Folks Who Pick Out Answers Like The One You Just Gave.

Anybody can ask and anybody can answer.

I thought the question was great. I answered just about the same question with the purchase of my son’s car 2 years ago, but his pick was $4,000 and was 3-4 years newer than a 97 or 98 Saturn and a whole lot more Detroit Iron.

By the way Dan, you have the right to remain silent (on any question). Please consider it.

CSA

Tyler, I’ve had 4 Jeeps (2 Wranglers, 1 Cherokee, currently own a Commander) and have not found them to be unreliable. The Wranglers are a bit much on ice - the short wheelbase tends to bring the rear end around quite quickly under cornering/braking conditions. Not impossible to contend with, but it’s good if one is aware of the tendency before taking the car onto ice. Not something you’d find on a daily basis in L.A. With proper tires they’ll go just about anywhere. (Check out the TJ or YJ forums on www.jeepforum.com).

The “cool” factor is off of the charts…the top comes down (or off) the doors come off (before I get flamed as “that’s unsafe!!!” - how many motorcycles come with doors??). The Wrangler seats 4 (don’t plan on 3 in the back seat!), has terrible city mileage, has low top end speeds, huge wind resistance, and is very easy to work on. Used parts are plentiful, after market add-ons are too (JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket - upgrading the thing can become a habit harder to break than smoking).

The largest issue I can see with the Wrangler - they hold their value and finding a good copy for $3,000 might be problematical. Stay away from the 4 cylinder engine - the in-line 6 engines are noted for their longevity and the penalty in mpg is basically non-existent for the 6 over the 4.

No leather, can’t hear the stock radio at speed with the top down, lousy gas mileage and the most fun vehicles I’ve ever owned (and the list includes a C5 Corvette, Mercury Marauder, and three T-Birds).

A nice Camry would be a more “sensible” choice. I prefer the Wrangler.

HTH

Nobody is going to flame you for talking about taking the doors off a Wrangler. However, your argument “how many motorcycles come with doors??” is really sad. Are you claiming motorcycles are safe? As a motorcycle rider myself, I don’t think they are safe. Riding a motorcycle safely requires much more skill than driving a car safely.

I don’t disagree with what your opinions, I just disagree with your logic.

Before you flame me for riding a motorcycle - how many people get shot out of a cannon at the circus? See how silly that sounds?

Whitey - I don’t think the required skill level makes a vehicle safe or unsafe. An individual may not have the requisite skills to operate a vehicle, but that doesn’t make the vehicle intrinsically unsafe. I don’t think it necessarily takes more skill to ride a motorcycle than drive a car; it depends on the car, the bike, and the conditions. Driving a C5 Corvette at 160 mph in the rain takes, perhaps, considerably more skill and concentration than riding a Honda 250 Rebel at 25 mph down a residential street in the dry.

I agree riding a motorcycle requires situational awareness; I’ve ridden bikes since the early '70’s. I don’t consider them unsafe, or wouldn’t get on one. However - my example was just that, an example. The majority of people in this day and age have not driven a car at speed with the doors off; the reference to a motorcycle was to give an example of something that people could relate to. Both the Jeep and the motorcycle are vehicles with which the majority of readers would be familiar; comparing the (doorless) Jeep to a motorcycle (also normally without doors) allows the reader to see my point - driving without doors is not necessarily dangerous. Since a circus canon isn’t a vehicle - I don’t think your simile applies.

I frequent a few Jeep websites, and have found that mentioning a Wrangler without doors very nearly always (no exaggeration here) will result in at least one reply that “that’s dangerous!” - referencing a motorcycle gives the writer and reader a common frame of reference.

Sopwith Camels didn’t have doors, either - but I used motorcycles as a reference because most people can relate to those vehicles whereas most people relate to Sopwith Camels as a device used in Peanuts cartoons. I don’t consider my reply to be “sad” - perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my reference for you to gather the point at first reading, for which I apologize.

And that being said, I’m afraid we’ve traveled far afield from the OP’s need for information.

Dan, not your day-
Wrong1, this is a good question, you can tell from all the thoughtful answers
Wrong2, you can find many luxury cars around $3000. I found 16 Acuras, 13 Infinitis, and 14 Lexuses on Cars.com between $2000 and $4000 within 250 miles of my zip.