Tachs and CVT

Like anything, the more information you have and the better informed you are about the operation of a piece of machinery, the better able you can to make the right decisions.

Ken Green wrote: “IF you’ve reach your intended cruising speed then , purposely, let up just a tad on the accelerator effort and you WILL notice a marked drop in rpm as the CVT adjusts.”

I’ve always driven an automatic transmission, although never a CVT. I was taught to pay attention to the sound and feel of the engine and give that tiny easing up on the accelerator for a split second to allow the transmission to shift easily rather than have it strain until it finally shifts hard on its own. My mom, who drove manuals for as many years as she did automatics and who herself was taught to drive on the Packard proving grounds by one of Packard’s professional test drivers, taught me that so as to save wear and tear on the transmission.

Question: Why does lowering the RPMs make it easier for the transmission to shift? I assume that it is programmed for specific shift points within certain ranges of RPMs, so am wondering why it shifts easier and immediately if the RPMs are eased back?

‘‘Toe shifting’’ as it is sometimes called comes from the days of the vacuum modulators on automatics and their fluid pressure shifting .

Letting up a tad on the accelerator cues it to shift -now- because of the change in vacuum instead of later when the constant accelerator effort would have made the same circumstances.

Letting up a tad allows smoother shifting because of removing the high pressure demand for the next shift, you have merely a mild demand for power.

These days with electronic data used to determine shift points…CVT or not…letting up on the accelerator simple creates the data needed to decide it’s time to shift -now- instead of later. ( Not just rpm , but wheel speed & accelerator position too )
I ‘‘toe shift’’ the six speed in my Expedition as well.

Oddly enough the THM350 in my 79 Chevy pickup shifts much smoother when carrying/towing a load. Drive it empty and each shift is a slight jerk. Put on a 30 foot camp trailer or load a pallet of pellets and it shifts smooth as glass.

“Years ago, and don’t ask me which car, the vehicle had dots of three different colrs”

@dagosa my '75 Civic had dots, all red IIRC, on the speedo, like their motorcycles.

Thank you Ken Green for the explanation! I’ve always wondered but never thought to ask someone who would know when I happened to be around them. Now I know. Always fun to learn something new every day. :slight_smile:

Thanks @circuitsmith, I did have an older Civic. Three colors…that’s probably a memory loss on my part.