Synthetic Oil

I read the Mobile One bottle, but no mileage listed. The Redline was not available so it must be a special type. Back to the required oil change mileage for the Altima. The owners manual states 3750 for a premium, 3750 for a shedule one, and 7500 for ashcedule two type maintenance program.

Strange about your findings on Mobil 1. Maybe you should check out Mobil/Exxon’s and Redline’s sites.

Thank you! I did research the Pennzoil, Redline and Mobile One web-sites. I could only find information with mileage on the Redline and Mobile One. This gives me comfort to consider the next oil changes with Mobile One. Any new information is welcome.

Why would you pay $22.50 to have your oil analyzed when you
could simply have your oil changed for that same amount…

That’s not the issue. The $22.50 helps to make you informed so you can more accurately calculate your oil change intervals for the life of the vehicle.

Without an analysis, how do you really know if your driving habits fall under the manufacture’s “severe” or “normal” service?

With all the info you’ve provided, this is what I would do: change oil/filter on all those cars every 5000 miles with a high quality regular, not sythetic, oil. Simple to remember, cheaper than the full synthetic, and, IMHO, just as good at protecting the cars. One other question: Is 10W30 a recommended oil weight for all your cars?

The 10W30 is recommended when 5W30 is not available. I will be using 5W30 on the next oil change. What is IMHO?

In my humble opinion; others will disagree!

Please explain! Others will disagree with using 5W30 or the alternate is 10W30 which is recommended by the operators manual?

Just a general statement, you will find conflicting opinions and disagreements for just about every question posted here, as you have with this one. I have no problem with your using any oil that is recommended/allowed for your conditions in the operators manual, and if one works for all your vehicles, so much the better!

It seems that a discussion of oil changes gets the most replies…this one 28!..an oil change is one of the cheapest maintenance items for a car…why debate the little stuff…5000 miles, 7000 miles the overall difference in the end isn’t going to add up to more than a few oil changes at best…follow manual schedule and grade is the best advice.

Thank you! This discussion has helped me make a decision on my oil change parameters. Thanks to all for your input. As I said before we all have basically the same answers.

I use Mobile Tri Syn myself. I think the answer to your question is how long you want to keep your cars. It costs more to use syn oil and a high end filter, but in the long run, it costs much less to do this than to buy a new car every 4 or 5 years. I change oil and filter at no more than 5K miles for my main driver, a 19 year old Toyota Celica All trac. It is turbo 5 speed, so regular driving would qualify as severe use. It has just turned 119K miles and from what I have been told, I can drive it as long as I want to. But I don’t let anything go on it.
My other car is a 2000 mr2 spyder. I hardly drive it. I live in the snow belt. It only has 13K miles on it. I change its oil twice a year. A couple of weeks after I take it off of winter storage and a couple of weeks before I put it on storage.
I have always used the grade oil the manual says (and I have the factory repair manuals for both). Celica is a 1990, and it was designed to use 10w30, so that is what I use. The mr2, being “new” is designed for 5w30, so that is what I use. I would use the grade of oil for which the car was built according to the factory specs.
I have also been told by a couple of mechanics that I respect that once you change to full synthetic it is not a good idea to change back. Syn oil (no matter what brand) and conventional motor oil are very different. As the car ages, there will be some build up and sludge. Syn reduces that. I have been told that you can have issues with the rings and pistons on the engine, over time, if you change back and forth between syn and convention. But then, everyone doesn’t keep cars as long as I do. I don’t think it should make any difference as long as you change you oil regularly if you plan to keep the cars 6 or 7 years or less.

Just back from the oil change. I payed a bit more for the High Millage oil for my '91 Toyota w 170k and running like a hamster on coco leaves (10w30). What would you recommend and any additives ? I do run a fuels system cleaner occasionally.
Two mechanics have suggested ‘just oil’.
I am a recovering additive junkie and have had many oil leaks to show.

These oil threads are always so much fun…There is a special website for oil obsessives…bobistheoilguy.com

Have you ever seen synthetic ANYTHING that is as good as the real McCoy?? Why does everyone think synthetic OIL is better than REAL OIL??

Let me guess, Caddyman, they use regular oil in race cars because regular oil is just as good and cheaper? Yes? No?