Synthetic oil truths

We had a security system that sent alarms so often I posted a note, how to disarm the security system. I trained workers, any thief breaking in would probably not read the note my thought. Worked for 10 years, and no break ins. Sure maybe it was dumb, but it worked out well. You know how many users have their password on a post it note somewhere on their desk? My guess 75%
We did enact security concerns, one story was Guys came in in microsoft security tshirts, let in by the front desk staff, said we need to take it in for service and rolled a server cabinet out the front door. Oh my! Set up protocol for no one goes in without notification and accompanied by an employee and a keypad lock on the server rooms.

I will not be at all upset when I read a news article reporting that the final ICE has been installed in an automobile.

CR tested it using standard handling tests, one of which it failed (I think it was the sharp turn). Chrysler attacked, it played out in the media, including Time. There may have been a suit. About 1977.

My wifeā€™s Hyundai notifies her of situations like that on her cell through My Hyundai Blue Link service. We find it very handy.

As I knew its ALL hype - get the crap oil - its all the same - from some one who waits a year ( about 6,000 milesā€¦

I wouldnā€™t go that far.

2 Likes

@FoDaddy It pays to look at the oil bottle, particularly if it is at a special price. Back in 1964 I was shopping a discount store and there was a special on motor oil. I picked up 5 quart cans of oil. It was in green and white cans and I assumed it was Quaker State. While I was waiting in line to check out, I looked more carefully at the can. It wasnā€™t Quaker State. It was Quaker Maid, a brand I had never heard of before or since. I put the oil back on the shelf. I am sure it was purposely put in cans that resembled Quaker State cans.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t mind getting Mobil 1 on sale, but Iā€™m not going to think too much about paying an extra $10 or so on a $40-50,000 car.

1 Like

As I frequently tell a friend who does his weekly shopping in dumpsters and garbage cans,
ā€œI couldnā€™t afford to save money that wayā€.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yeah. When I go to the grocery store I buy the cheapest meat I can find because itā€™s all the same. I wear $19 shoes to work because they are all the same. I pick the cheapest dentist because they are all the same. Well, not really, I donā€™t do any of those things.

A higher price is certainly no guarantee of quality, but in the end, a better product or service is generally going to cost more money.

Do you have your car repaired at the cheapest place you can find?

Speaking about synthetic oils, whatā€™s your opinion on Ravenol oils? some say that is the best one on the market, other say that itā€™s just a crap

Marco , since you appear to be in Italy that Ravenol product maybe more available than here in the US . It seems to be a lot more expensive then Mobil 1 so why use it . I put it the same category as Amsoil , marketing hype.

Itā€™s all the same except for dollar general.

Get BlueMail for Android

Did you read the article??? $ 2 a quart oil works as well as $10 a can .

Julee

Get BlueMail for Android

Iā€™ll disagree with that. Well maybe grocery store meats. But thereā€™s a difference in meat bought from a good butcher.

Many grocery stores take their hamburger and soak it in water. This adds weight which evaporates when cooked. When ever I buy hamburger from a grocery store (which is rare)ā€¦I make them extra large because of shrinkage. I make a 1/2 lb patty that cooks down to 1/4 lb patty. Not the same from the Butcher. Butcher I buy my steaks at are of a certain ageā€¦they are more tender and just the right amount of fat. They also buy local. Much better quality.

I donā€™t eat a lot of red meatā€¦but when I do I want GOOD red meat.

1 Like

I donā€™t think he meant to start a hamburger discussion, though. Just in case though best is to buy direct from the farmer but around here they are having trouble getting slots for butchering.

Nah, as you can see in the rest of the paragraph I wrote, I donā€™t do that. I was poking fun at the idea that all of anything is the same.

I simply canā€™t afford to buy cheap things, be it food for my family, shoes for my feet, or parts for my car.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I use a local butcher that has a farm with his own cows. The beef is terrific. He buys pork and lamb products, but they are outstanding too. The cost? Amazingly, itā€™s about the same as competing grocery store products. My son in law used to shop there, but they moved to Richmond about 6 months ago. They were here this week, and he stopped at the butcher and loaded up about 20 lbs of meats in a soft side cooler we loaned them, and it was bursting at the seams. He canā€™t get meats like that down there. If @FoDaddy knows a great butcher around RVA, they would like to know about it.

You mean the article from 25 years ago that compared different brands of 10W30 in taxicab fleets? That is entirely irrelevant to a modern day engine. Whatā€™s next, an article comparing rabbit-ear TV antennas?

3 Likes