Swapping an Engine

In one of my posts I made reference to the possibility of the OP not having to smog a car at all. Depends on the state.

It’s an 81 model and this means that anything controlled by an ECM is going to meet 81 standards and that’s assuming the emission laws were even grandfathered in that far back.

I don’t think anyone is advising the OP to sink 20 grand into this car or attempt to make money on a resale.
Dropping a 350 Olds in is a very easy, doable deal and will prove to be very reliable and streetable.

While much is made of the 70s/80s era domestic cars and their problems with emissioned carbs, miles of vacuum hose, etc. why does no one mention that the Asian cars for the most part were suffering the same problems?
Most Euro cars were using fuel injection, but Nissan, Honda, Subaru, etc. were all buried in emissioned carb garbage also with a few injected exceptions.

I know because this was an everyday battle for me while working at those dealerships.

It’s easy to look back and say they were all junk due to the garbage they were infected with, but many car makers, not just the Big 3, were trying to conform with the Federal gov. regs and all of that garbage was the best that could be done at the time considering the circumstances.

OK4450:
Thanks for the link. Lots of great picts. I got to say that Dart is a hot looking car with the power to back it up.
~Michael

:slight_smile: Agreed :slight_smile:

You might like these photos…

http://www.coloradoracingmemories.com/crm_lilly_judy/crmlilly.htm

Thanks for the Dart pics OK, what a car!!

if you dont know, you should get more experience before trying, swapping an engine is very tricky