Stupid Fast

I second meanjoe75fan about the bourgeis affectation; a fairly common malady in the environmental world. A more proper term might be hypocritical to the rotten core…

Mike, the Bugatti Veyron is AWD.

Mike, add the Lambo Gallardo 570 to the Veyron as AWD cars capable of sub 2.8 sec 0-60’s

Have to agree with MJ,the green movement needs to stand on its own,not because a croony builds cars or owns a enviromental service.If all this garbage they wanted us to recycle had an actual value,the canvassers would keep it cleaned up.
A little light,a community near here is using single container recycling(everything goes together.

Mustangman,I like your posts,but arent those cars harder to service and more expensive then a Tesla?
dIdnt think I would ever say this,but I’m seriously considering a EGolf or Leaf,tired of oil running down my elbows and waiting for the inconsiderate ones to clear the pumps,so I can handle the gross,stinking,nasty,gas filling nozzle(cant always remember to have gloves availible)

Juvenile, irresponsible hooligans? I like the sound of that. Where do I sign up!?

The Prius PEV and Volt qualify for the tax rebates. The Federal rebates are $2500 for the Prius PEV and $7500 for the Volt. Couple that with the $2500 Maryland tax rebate, and someone here can get either one for $25,000, the same price as the base Prius hatchback. Of course, you have to pay $5000 in taxes to get the full rebate on the Prius PEV and $10,000 in taxes to get it all back on the Volt. But that certainly makes the two affordable for many average citizens. I suppose that federal legislators could put an upper limit on the cost of the car, but 10 grand to a rich guy that might buy the Tesla S Sport is not nearly as important as it is to the average citizen. He just might buy that car whether it has the tax rebate or not.

Mike, the aforementioned Nissan GT-R is AWD.

“You can get $7500 tax credit for buying a Chevy Volt. In fact all electric and hybrids have tax breaks.”

But your typical Prius, Volt, etc. costs considerably more than the normally aspirated, non-ev, non-alternative fuel source, non-hybird car

So there’s the conundrum again . . . you have to be in the position to spend big bucks, in order to qualify for a fat tax break

Who’s more able to afford that Prius in the first place?

Mr blue collar?

Or some smug rich boy, with a s . . . - eating grin on his face

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet . . . those cars that get the fat tax breaks are also more fuel effient and/or cheaper to operate than a normally aspirated Camry or Accord

So it adds insult to injury. Rich boy gets a Prius, a tax break, uses much less fuel than the typical car owner, and pats himself on the back, because he’s “saving the world”

Many of the people I know aren’t wealthy enough to afford a fuel efficient car that gets a tax break. They’re forced to buy beat-up used cars or new cars which don’t get a tax break

This is a fine world that we’re living in

:angry:

I stand corrected…Didn’t think those vehicles were capable of under 3 secs. But it’s a far cry from being easy…AWD or not.

Who's more able to afford that Prius in the first place?

The Prius C sells for UNDER $20,000. I know many blue color workers who can afford that.

Honda Civic Hybrid, Hyundai Hybrid Sonata, Ford C Max hybrid all sell for under $25,000

“Ferrari says they will only make turbo V8’s and hybrid mixes in future on most models.”

Who knows what the future holds for the NEW Ferrari company, after Fiat spins it off in October?
Sergio Marchionne plans to make Maserati his premier GT brand after he divests himself of Ferrari, and the new Ferrari management might make somewhat different business decisions than Fiat did with the Ferrari brand over the past decade or so.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billvisnic/2015/07/19/ferrari-ipo-heres-how-you-can-own-a-piece-of-the-prancing-horse/

@MikeInNH

Thanks for posting the price of cars

But I’ve already made my point earlier, and I don’t really have anything more to say on the matter

Clearly, this is not about who’s right, and who isn’t

You and I apparently have different viewpoints, and let’s just leave it at that

You and I apparently have different viewpoints, and let's just leave it at that

I’m NOT for the tax breaks either. I was just pointing out that we give far far far more BILLIONS of our dollars to corporate tax breaks then the average person. I’d rather give tax breaks to individuals then corporations like the oil industry who’s had record setting profits in the past decade. Or things like the GM bailout. ALL the tax breaks for buying a electric car adds up to millions. We gave Exxon almost a BILLION in tax breaks last year.

Amen to that, Mike.

Tax breaks and government handouts go only to the “needy”. The “needy” are, in the perception of the government, only large organized groups of like mind on an issue who all vote in unison, and groups and/or companies who can raise and/or contribute huge amounts to political campaigns. The average person isn’t considered “needy”. GM, Mobile, huge energy companies, environmentalists, they’re all considered “needy”. Me & you? Forgetaboutit. I’m tying to get the government to pay me to not grow specific crops, but they ain’t buyin’ it. I don’t have anything to add to their campaigns.

And let us not forget the countless billions that we commit to third world countries for “green initiatives”. People can starve to death by the millions and that’s okay, as long as the country agrees to start a “green initiative”.

By the way, before anybody jumps on me for the crops comment, I’m very familiar with the “dust bowl” years, understand the function for which subsidies were imposed, and know they saved a lot of lives… literally. But they’ve long since been bastardized to buy votes and/or campaign contributions. I’m addressing 2015, not the 1930s.

Oil company tax breaks are about $0.04 per gallon (remember, there’s 180 billion gallons/year used). Want to get rid of them? Fine. Know that the record low natural gas prices and the huge increase in US oil production and drop in prices were partly due to those breaks. Big effect? Probably not, but it was a positive result, as far as folks’ wallets are concerned. In contrast, EV tax breaks start with not paying gas taxes, averaging $0.50/gallon, then add on the tax rebates in the thousands, to the rich for those $100k Teslas. Then add on the extorted credits Tesla receives from other carmakers, then the Tesla-only charging stations, and what do you have? A huge waste.

We gave Exxon almost a BILLION in tax breaks last year.

So that’s why gasoline is such an incredible bargain! It’s almost too cheap, low income people drive gas guzzlers and think nothing of squandering gas by accelerating towards each and every red light.
We also live in a country where the poor throw food away because it’s so affordable, that nonsense could quickly be eliminated by making food expensive, let’s stop giving farmers tax breaks.
Corporations don’t pay taxes, they collect taxes on behalf of the government.

kmccune We have had single bin recycle for over 12 years. 1 Garbage, 1 Recycle, and 1 Yard Debris. All on wheels. If you have a significant amount of glass containers such as 2 dozen wine bottles per week you can get a small hand carried bin. I rarely have glass containers and if I do it is something like an olive jar which goes in garbage.

Sarge,they wont even do glass around here(think people actually enjoyed recycling glass)and they wont touch plastic bags

Oil company tax breaks are about $0.04 per gallon (remember, there's 180 billion gallons/year used). Want to get rid of them? Fine. Know that the record low natural gas prices and the huge increase in US oil production and drop in prices were partly due to those breaks. Big effect

If it’s no big deal…then why does the oil industry spend millions on lobbyists to keep those tax breaks. And it’s not just tax breaks…FREE land leasing on government land for oil drilling. Those things add up.

Corporations don't pay taxes, they collect taxes on behalf of the government.

And that is a 100% turn around from when this country was founded. Only corporations and crop producing land owners paid taxes. Over 200 years it slowly switched directly to the consumer (in the form of sales tax) and the worker (in the form of income tax).

Then add on the extorted credits Tesla receives from other carmakers, then the Tesla-only charging stations, and what do you have?

And that accounts for less then .1% of the tax breaks given to corporate tax beaks. That .1% doesn’t effect me…that 99.9% does because we as citizens now have to pay higher taxes to cover that short fall.

You keep justifying for Oil tax breaks by showing that there other wasteful tax breaks. That’s a false argument.