Study Finds No Benefit To Chicago Red Light Cameras

That reminds me of a study I read about in an airline magazine in the late 1980s that claimed drinking bourbon and smoking cigars were healthy lifestyle choices.

You may have read that mag on a plane in the 1980’s but the time period it refered too was the 1880’s.

“Red light cameras are not about safety and all about the money.”

We often see what we want to see and disregard the rest. You would like it if red light cameras went away, and seem willing to grasp at a questionable report to justify your claim. RLCs were put in place to reduce angle impact and side impact accidents. These seem more likely to cause personal injury than rear end collisions, since people trying to run a red light will speed up to do so. And someone who just got a green light while approaching the intersection will not stop unless traffic in his lane makes him stop. In that case, RLCs were successful. As people figure out that others actually will stop at a traffic light on yellow, then the rear end collisions should abate, too. It seems from the way the report read that Mr. Shah had an agenda - to show that RLCs are ineffective. Almost any researcher with an agenda can support his viewpoint if he tries hard enough. If you come up with at least one unimpeachable source that concludes that RLCS are not effective, please show it to us. I’ve never heard or Rajiv Shah and I am skeptical. You could also show why he is an unimpeachable source, too.

I think most of the incidents that leave people to think they were treated unfairly is when people are slowing to make a right turn under the yellow and the yellow has been shortened,thus they are put in the same class as a person who was 100ft short on the red light and went through the intersection at a high rate of speed, not the 4 or 5mph that the right hand turn person did.

South Dakota Court Rules Against Red Light Cameras

A red light camera company faces being fined for running an illegal operation in the state of South Dakota. Last Tuesday, a circuit court judge ruled that Redflex Traffic Systems and the city of Sioux Falls violated state law and the US Constitution when they set up automated ticketing machines without approval from the state legislature.

Twotone