Stock exhaust P0420 code. Help!

We had an 03 windstar with some kind of a generic error code. Guy said take it to the ford dealer. Ford dealer “we have more advanced code reading technology” Ended up being bad Orings on the plenum, Just sayin you might want to let a ford dealer figure it out if it recurs. Glad your cruisin.

That is good news for you!

Seems to me, the thing to do now is sell the car for a profit, and buy a car with no problems

It’s clearly your decision, as to whether to tell any potential buyers, about the “mil eliminators”

That said, I would be 100% upfront about what I did

:smiley:

@Barkydog Yea that’s what sucks. According to the code, the problem could be so many things… My brother and i were discussing the good and bad that comes with computer technology in vehicles. You can’t argue with the efficiency, monitoring and diagnostic capability. A scanning device is reasonably affordable and can be very helpful. But i heard the $5000+ computer it can be connected to, communicates with the scanner and makes finding the actual problem a helluva lot easier. I haven’t looked into it, but one day there will be software you can download into a regular lap top at a fraction of that price. Maybe they have something like that already, but I doubt it’s affordable to the typical DIYS’er. Without having the technology ford has, computers tend to be a real PITA for a lot of us. And I personally can’t bring myself to pay for them to tell me what’s wrong, the price is just too high. It seems to me, it’s only a matter of time before mechanic shops won’t exist. As technology advances, we are gonna have A LOT of people out of work. Not just mechanics obviously. Which was the whole point of machines and technology. To free mankind so we can do better things with our time. I think that scares some people. Typically those who are the wealthiest and have the most to lose. Lol. And thanks man, yea I’m finally getting to enjoy the car. Before I got the inspection, i was driving around with the white very expired 10 day sticker you get at the DMV. I was xxxxing bricks every time I passed a cop.
@db4690 yea it took way too long, but I’m relieved it finally worked out. The only reason I’d sell it now is to get something sporty but much better on gas. Otherwise I’m just gonna enjoy it for a while. If I end up keeping it, I want to get a pair of them “exhaust cut outs” idk if you’re familiar with them. Basically it gets welded on before the cats and has a small out pipe with an electric controlled flap inside. So I can keep a stock (fairly quiet/environmentally friendly) exhaust that I will use 95% of the time. But once in a while I can open it up with the push of a button and it will be like running straight pipes. I’m sure the cops would get a kick out if it. One minute they are pulling you over for a loud exhaust, next minute the car is oddly quiet lol. I’ve owned 5 mustang GT’s over the years and I either get bored or the gas milage becomes too costly. Yea when I sell it, I’ll let em know about the mils. A lot of the guys who buy these cars end up putting a whole new performance exhaust on it anyway. Free-flow or hollowed out cats (if any at all) and they would likely need to either buy mil eliminators or spark plug anti foulers in order to pass inspection. Some of them actually keep their stock exhaust and put it on for a few days a year just to pass inspection.
I can’t thank y’all enough for taking the time to give me great advice. :smile: