Steering wheel replacement

I’d like to replace the steering wheel and stereo head unit on my rogue with one from a higher trim rogue. Is the wiring there from the factory to connect the different accessories that are on the steering wheel that aren’t on the current wheel and are the connections the same for the head unit?

probably the same wiring, but unless someone here has experience with the exact years/models you are looking at- then your just gonna have to tear into it and look.

I believe that the basic wiring harness tends to be the same for each trim model of a vehicle. You just may not utilize all the connectors for trim options that aren’t chosen or used. Now, you may have to snag some wire harnesses to connect to that main harness, but it should be doable.

You did not give year or model but there is an air bag in that steering wheel and frankly what you want to do sounds expensive . If it was me I would forget the steering wheel upgrade and just see what a good auto sound shop can offer . You could also look at the Crutchfield website for a replacement stereo.

5 Likes

What @VOLVO_V70 said. I’d also encourage you to look up Crutchfield’s instructions for replacing the head unit on your car, because that can give you valuable information as to whether or not you even want to attempt it.

The instructions for my car boiled down to “Don’t. No really, don’t,” because the HU is so integrated with everything else that, while it’s doable, it’s a huge pain in the butt and there’s a lot that can go wrong.

2 Likes

Even if you can find someone to do this swap, I wouldn’t do it. So much is wired through the steering wheel that you could create problems down the road. Electrical problems are already hard to diagnose, and electrical problems caused by this kind of work are even worse.

A post was merged into an existing topic: New user welcome banner

4 posts were split to a new topic: New user welcome banner

Another vote for Crutchfield. They can provide you great options based on your preferences and budget.

As for the question about whether the wiring and connections for the upgrade would be present - I wouldn’t bet on it. I added cruise control to my 2005 gmc work truck. The wiring and connections were not present, even though probably the vast majority of 2005 GMC Sierras had cruise control from the factory. Apparently 2004 and prior had the wiring even if cruise wasn’t installed, but GM decided to leave it off in later years to save a few bucks. I don’t blame them really. You might find a Nissan Rogue forum that could tell you for certain if the unused part of the wiring harness would be present.