Steel Vs. Alloy Wheels (I Thought Steel Was Better?)

Yes, I meant if the profiles are the same. If you can’t get the same tire profiles as the smaller wheels in the larger wheels, that wouldn’t apply.

I’ve had a lot of trouble with aluminum wheels developing (corrosion) rim leaks, but I guess supposedly the newer ones aren’t supposed to do that anymore.

I detest aluminum wheels in our climate, by the time the car is 6-7 years old, they are losing 2-3 pounds of pressure a week. The last time I bought a new car I went with Toyota because they were the only one who had a car the fit me with only the features I wanted with steel wheel in stock.

I should have made it clear that my" leaking" comments only apply where the roads are heavily salted.

I’ve had absolutely no leakage on my 10+ year old alloy wheels whatsoever. I bought the car new in June of '05. I did discover that they have a thick coating on them. I accidentally peeled some off on a granite curb some years back. I have, however, bent a few on potholes… blah!

Just my humble opinion, but I prefer steel wheels and (again, just MHO) I feel that steel wheels are easier to balance and hold a balance better.

A steel wheel can be easily touched up. A faded, peeling alloy no so easily…

Alright, so the consensus is, alloy wheels are a legitimate upgrade, not just a scam to get folks to pay more. Of course they look better, otherwise they’d have a hard time talking people into “upgrading” to alloys.

@VDCdriver “Is it possible that manufacturers are being less careful with the coating of steel wheels nowadays?” Yeah, that’s kind of my thinking. Perhaps “conspiracy” is too strong a word, but generally, make the steel wheels cheaper so you notice them rusting, thereby making it easier to talk you into buying the alloys on your next vehicle purchase. MY wheels (rims) are rusty, but then, they are 23 years old. . .

@Marnet ; my general thinking at this point is that smaller tires are going to be cheaper to replace than larger ones, thereby making 14" steel wheels preferable to 15" alloy wheels. When I get down to brass tacks, I’ll look up the specific cost of replacement tires before I sign the documents to purchase the car, if only to avoid any unpleasant surprises later.

Life IS nicer without mortgage or car payment. When I bought my house, my employer’s business was still booming, and I worked a LOT of extra overtime and threw ALL that money straight onto the mortgage. I HATE being in hock to anybody. . . Sorry you’ve had so many problems with your house. I think about all the upgrades / improvements I’d like to make to my house, and I wonder if I’d be better off to just sell it as a handyman’s special and go buy another house that’s already fixed up just the way I want, but that would mean taking on a mortgage again, easier and simpler to just “make do” with what I have. . . :smile:

@CapriRacer - I would HOPE they took the asbestos out of brake pads a very long time ago. Oh My God! But that WOULD explain why the lawyers are still all over the television looking for mesothelioma victims… . .

Oh, and hey, THANKS for all the great posts, everybody. I’m learning a lot from this thread. :mrgreen:

You have to look at the marginal cost of gas mileage. The difference in cost between lets say 25 mpg and 35 mpg, or 30 and 40. It really can be a less significant factor, especially today. I filled up two cars yesterday and today and cost $9 each. Not too many years ago it cost me $25 a day but even a hyper mileage car wouldn’t have saved me more than $5-10 a day.

"I filled up two cars yesterday and today and cost $9 each."

50 cents a gallon in Minnesota?

Well, I’m in my early 40’s and I get the general impression that most of the regulars here are older than me. Does anyone here NOT anticipate $4.00+ gallon gas in a few years? Haven’t we all been to this roadeo several times before? If you really want to double down, perhaps take the money you’re saving on gas and use it to buy stock in ExxonMobil or Chevron, perhaps?

Aluminium wheels don’t have anything to do with $4.00 gasoline. Replacing steel wheel with aluminium won’t save any measurable amount of fuel.

I’ve never had a problem with either wheels. I like the look of alloy wheels. Sometimes chrome wheels look better on certain vehicles, but have to clean and wax them.

$1,500 extra for cast wheels seems outrageous on a family daily driver or a pickup truck. But then it seems like half the cost of new cars is for trendy gimmicks.

Rod, I agree. If I could have purchased my recent new cars without aluminum alloy wheels and low profile tires and TPMS, I would have, but that option was not available. Luckily I just got the purchase in before touch screen systems became standard.

The only problem I have with alloy wheels is that they don’t stand up to potholes well, and that’s exacerbated by the fact that many now come stock with low profile tires.

Alloy wheels look a lot cooler on the dealer lot and which aids sales…

Picture 2 identical cars for sale; one with black steel wheels and wheel covers and the other with alloys with the same pricing.

On average, how many buyers would take the one with alloys based on appearance only…

@BillRussell

Rod, I agree. If I could have purchased my recent new cars without aluminum alloy wheels and low profile tires and TPMS, I would have, but that option was not available. Luckily I just got the purchase in before touch screen systems became standard.

Maybe the car industry needs to relearn the lesson taught by the failure of the Ford Edsel, an epic marketing flop and the surprising success of the American Motors Rambler, a car that was as opposite of the Edsel as it is possible to be, in the same year.

I would. I would even pay more for the car with alloy wheels. Because I can afford it. Because I have to look at the car every day. Because I want to drive a car I like, not just one that is practical.

But cars are my thing. Other things escape my notice. Last year I asked my wife when we had the one wall in the living room painted an accent color. She replied it had been that way since we bought the house in 2008.

Generally, we use steel wheels in the winter and alloy on the summer tires. When you have low profile tires and potholes, we are partial to steel wheels. I have no idea how much better one is then another other then, the lighter wheel has to ride better with alloys. I have had few problems with either other then to deal with rust and stain on the steel wheels.

I have a set of oem alloy wheels that came with the car nearly 18 years ago. I just put on new tires this weekend any they’re doing great (except for nicks around the lug nut holes that accumulated over time. I happened to notice that a single refurbished alloy wheel like mine is listed at over $130 online, so they have some value.
My suggestion though is to not fall for alloy wheels AND low aspect tires at the same time. That risks easy damage to the rim and a harsher ride. My wheels are 65 aspect.

@Waterbuff

“My wheels are 65 aspect.”

I think you meant your tires, not the wheels . . . :wink:

Wheels don’t have an aspect ratio, AFAIK :sweat: