Spoked wheels

I looked at the Dayton wire wheel web site, lots of dimensions, no weights listed that I could find. Sure are pretty, though! And they’re ‘maintenance free’…

friend bought a jag XK8 a few year back. it had 17" alloys. i asked if he was going to get spoked wheels and he just laughed. i gave him a hard time about his “cold” garage and he went out an had a gas furnace installed. had to run a 30’ gas line and he said he told his wife it was required to keep his car dry in the winter.

So are steel wheels made for cars. I don’t see why one type of automobile (cars and trucks) is any better at describing the principle of using less steel than another type of automobile (motorcycles), but if it helps you wrap your head around the concept, just replace every occurrence of “motorcycle” with “car,” and the same principles apply.

The question I posed was whether automotive wire wheels of old are really lighter than automotive steel wheels or old. It was a simple question. If you choose to spin it to make it something it wasn’t, feel free. Or, if you don’t know the answer, you could simply say “I don’t know”. Or not post at all. Either would be the more manly thing to do.

All I’m saying is that, if you put a steel wheel next to a spoked wheel, you can see that one has considerably less mass.

Which if these wheels looks heavier to you?

Those aren’t real wheels, that is 3D art work.

Wire wheel

Wire wheels are heavier than modern steel wheels, the rim is thicker to accommodate the fasteners and the hub adds weight.

Those are gorgeous. Who makes those?

Those would be Dayton Wire wheels… per the logo. Also sometimes called called Daynas in the “hood” as they are very popular among the “Donk” crowd.

Maybe a bit more tasteful example on a Miata…

The Miata is tasteful.
The pimpmobile, NOT!

2 Likes

That makes the second D word I had to look up today, donk and dotard.

OK, I know what a dotard is, what did you find on “donk” ? The car version refers to a “donkey”, shortened to donk, which is a mis-identification of the Chevy Impala logo. It is a slang term initially applied to the pimped-out Impalas with the HUGE wheels but now refers to any cars with huge wheels. Yeah, I don’t get it either but there it is. :roll_eyes:

We’re guessing your first question is, “What the heck is a donk?” Let us explain.

Specifically, “donk” is the nickname for a customized 1971-76 Chevrolet Caprice or Impala. Many folks erroneously use it to describe any custom car with big wheels. To be clear, flashy wheels aren’t required, but if you want a showstopper, they certainly help.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/diy/whats-donk-and-how-build-one#ixzz4tRpDnIvN

I stand corrected.

I don’t know if this is family-friendly enough for this crowd, but I think ‘donk is short for badonkadonk.

There was also a character in the Crocodile Dundee series named Donk.

Barky, that is the dumbest looking Chevy I’ve seen in a long time.
Yeah, I know, it’s all a matter of taste. Unfortunately, this car’s owner has none. :smile:

Now there was a lot of time, effort and money invested in that car, the first thing I see is no rust, I think it has a cool factor, not up to something I would want, but I have mandatory diversity training soon, after training maybe I will like a Juke, So at a recent car show I saw some rat rods, would not want them either, and to throw out another pet peeve, why is it everyone has their hood up to show off the chromed head covers, I like looking at the car like I would have seen it on the street. :frowning:

LOL, good one!

If it’s a “judged/juried” show, their engines and engine compartments get scored.
If not, they’re just showing them off. I recently saw a '69 Chevelle 396 at a show and was glad he had his hood up. The engine and engine compartment were downright pristine, better than when it came from the factory. It was obvious from the engine compartment that the vehicle was disassembled and professionally painted on a rotisserie. You could tell by the seams, the bolts, the hinges, etc. etc. Absolutely gorgeous. All in fire-engine red with just the right amount of brightwork. The only parts with any sign of being operated were the exhaust manifolds. It was clearly a “driver”. And I watched the owner drive it away after the show.