Spark plug threaded section sheared, left in head

I have no idea when GM switched to using NGK on many of their vehicles. You’re probably right that they weren’t NGK. Still probably AC Delco. Did AC/Delco coat their plugs back then? I know their iridium plugs are coated now.

Failure mode was material loss from rust. I have no evidence to suggest that these were anything but the original AC Delco plugs and wires.

The threaded section wasn’t terribly difficult to remove with the extractor, there just wasn’t sufficient material left in the section of the plug where it transitions from the threads to the hex flats.

When I was about 19, I changed plugs on my 59 Pontiac in the street outside of the room I rented. They all came out fine but I could only get 7 back in due to limited access and not being double jointed. I had to drive it that way up to the gas station embarrassed to have the guy put the 8th one in. Later I devised a piece of tubing with a stiff wire to get the plug inserted. I fully understand that sinking feeling and congratulations on fixing it yourself.

On a related note, been having difficulties removing exterior bulbs on my 50 year old truck (marker bulbs, license plate bulb, bayonet fitting) . Stuck. Glass breaks when twisting bulb, leaving brass base in fixture. Easiest way to remove brass base from fixture? Current method is to pry section up with small screwdriver, then remove it bit by bit with needle nose pliers.

Needle nose usually does ir for me but I can’t hardly remember the last bulb I replaced outside of headlights and license plate light. Asking to be stopped if your plate light is out. I usually use a little dielectric grease on the install.

Oh yeah same thing on those little candelabra bulbs in the house. I use bulb lube on the sockets of those. Especially if the bulbs are from China. Bulb bags, not socket. No zap.

Yes, have been doing that.

Old timers would get a broken bulb out by jamming a potato onto the broken glass / remaining base and twisting it right out.

I had a spark plug break on me like the OP’s, about 50 years ago. Hex body and porcelain insert came out, threads stayed in. Came right out with a big easy out. Come to think of it, that might be the only time anything ever came right out with an easy out …

2 Likes

Fast forward 50 years, this is a Buick brake/taillight bulb;

Nothing works every time. The broken light discussion, however, began with George’s mention of his 50 year old truck’s broken lamps.

That is why I use leather gloves or a paper towel and safety glasses when removing bulbs if they seem stuck.