So what's the deal with Manual Trans cars with the Lower Price?

As long as we are talking about supply and demand for cars with manual transmissions, keep in mind in this case, the OP appears to be talking about a used car. New cars often have the same pricing, or very close price differences between the same models with different transmissions (excluding CVTs, which are usually more expensive).

If you want a REALLY good deal on a new car, and you are willing to drive a stick shift, wait until January or February 2013 to check out the leftover manual 2012 models still on the lot. You might not find a good deal on a stick shift until it’s been on the lot longer than anticipated.

It’s funny that it took over 50 years for America to realize how much more enjoyable an automatic was. I know some of you will disagree, but you don’t believe in any options either.

Most manual transmissions are optioned to the lowest trim level of a vehicle, so that accounts for some cost as well.
If you want satnav or better stereo system or leather seats, you’ll have to get an automatic. The manual trans you might get lucky to get power windows and cruise control on some vehicles.

Automatics have always cost more!!!

Personage…I agree there are times when a manual may be better. But, in the cars I have, spinning doesn’t happen unless it’s with all 4 wheels at the same time as the off road “ATRAC” that these Toyotas have work much better with automatics. If rocking is necessary, I find it much easier with an auto. I have done and do a significant amount of off roading and towing…autos win hands down !!! (plowing too)

The electronic aids, down hill control and atrac are calibrated with the transmission. They do a much better job on modern vehicles with autos. On Toyota, you can’t even get some of these electronic aids with a manual.
The dump truck (GMC) I have used for delivery has an awesome automatic that senses downshifts for engine braking based upon the load it carries. When set in this mode, there is NO chance of over running the brakes, which can happen when carrying 8 plus yards of stone. Not to mention, there is a big savings on clutches when you have 3 different operators of varying degree of ability.

If I had to, I would much rather loan an auto out then a manual. I used to cringe every time I had some one else operate my previous manual transmission tractor. No with a hydrostatic, all I worry about is staying out of the way.

Most manual transmissions are optioned to the lowest trim level of a vehicle, so that accounts for some cost as well.

Funny you said that. When I bought my 1990 Pathfinder I had to buy an automatic if I wanted intermittent wipers.

Luckily there was a Factory option kit I could by from the dealer.

From 1950 to 1953, the lowest trim line Chevrolets could only be had with a manual transmission. The automatic transmission was an option only on the upper trim lines. The 1957 and 1958 Studebaker Scotsman did not offer an automatic transmission.