Slippery when wet? Driving in the rain

The red areas are curbs with brick interior, pity the snow plow driver

Personally, I donā€™t know how you could even make an intersection with 8 roads of traffic any safer. When I lived south of Boston, there was a place called Braintree five corners where five roads intersected into one large intersection. Only stop and yield signs into one giant unmarked lane intersection. That alone was dangerous enough that I personally know of 2 people that were involved in death related accidents.

I agree, it was a very difficult intersection before. But Iā€™m not sure there werenā€™t other solutions that would have used less of the taxpayerā€™s money and worked just as well.

The new one on South Main Street in Nashua seems to work fine too, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s an improvement. I never had a problem there before, and it seems to be more prone to close calls since theyā€™ve put the rotary in.

I admit to not knowing the stats, but as a user I find rotaries to be more scary than traditional perpendicular intersections. In rotaries it seems like everybody thinks they have the right of way, and instead of stopping at a stop sign and looking, everyone tries to ā€œtimeā€ their entry into and out of the rotary traffic flowā€¦ often with no regard for others. I know the rule, the guy in the rotary has the right of way, but it almost seems meaningless when the design is encouraging attempted merging behaviors while everyone is going around in a circle. In summary, the rule says one thing and the design encourages another.

Half the idiots here canā€™t figure out 4 way stops. Roundabouts would be a disaster.

4way stops here in MA.and NH are nightmares to traverse. People either donā€™t know who has the right of way or care who has the right of way. Every other part of the country Iā€™ve ldriven too inever see a problem.

That is exactly what I was referring to. There are a few here who donā€™t know who has the right of way and many who think they always have the right of way with their giant pickups. I too have been to many parts of this country with drivers who are competent and courteous.

Now that weā€™re ranting, two things drive me nuts at four way stops. People that wait for you to stop before they proceed, thus slowing everything down and people that have the right of way and wave you through. Waving someone through is a serious liability issue. Not at 4 way stops but I have seen near accidents by someone waving someone else to go when another car or person was in their blind spot. By telling someone to go, you are assuming liability. They think they are being nice but are really being stupid so I just sit there when someone tries to tell me to go when they have the right of way and they get ticked off. Too bad, go kick your dog.

1 Like

I agree with @bing and behave the same way in that situation.

Similar is drivers who stop when I (a pedestrian) am anywhere near a crosswalk. Iā€™d rather they keep moving, as in many cases, the other lanes are still full of traffic. I just wait them out again. Note that I am not actually on the crosswalk, but standing on the sidewalk.

I like rotaries, they have rep;aced two traffic light here with rotaries, there is a busy road going North- South. The traffic from the side roads is lighter. A 5 way intersection was 1 block North of a 4 way. The traffic now mostly flows through without stopping. There are traffic circles in Buffalo that are way over 100 years old. The rotaries are safer because they are much smaller, forcing the traffic to slow before entering.

Be careful of rotaries in Wisconsin, they passed a law that says, contrary to posted yeild signs. all traffic must yeild to trucks over 40 feet ! You canā€™t make up stuff this funny.
ā€¦

Drive the Rt-2 Rotary in Concord MA during rush-hour sometime. If you donā€™t have a coronary, then Iā€™d like to hear your opinion on rotaries then. Over 60,000 vehicles a day use that rotary. Rotaries are fine for low volume traffic areas. Not for high volume traffic areas.

It rained yesterday, mid-February in Minnesota, and I slowed from 75 to 65. No problems with my 5/32 tires.

Number one rule of the road: ā€˜Right of way always goes to the bigger vehicleā€™. I recall a PSA magazine ad. Epitaph on a tombstone: I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY!!!

Damn, Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m perfect! :smile:

People should slow down when raining.

A big factor is tread wear depth on your tires.

I learned that in a scary manner.

While in college, I let my tires get close to bald.

Was driving the speed limit in the rain and made a lane change.

I did 2 360 degrees turns in a Pinto.

Luckily I was in the middle land and no traffic around me.

Stupid drivers will always exist.