Simplest OBD reader for double-check mileage?

I don’t know what is reasonable and customary for where you live. In the USA there are limits set by the car manufacturers concerning when a vehicle is new or used. I bought a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt that had about 500 miles on it. It was priced far lower than every other Cobalt on the lot. When I asked, the salesman said that it had more than 400 miles on it, and Chevrolet would not take it back because it did not meet their mileage requirements for a new car. The dealership was going out of business and had to sell this particular car. This was during the big recession of 2009. The MSRP was about $18,500 and the asking price was $11,800.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer, I will look it up. Can be used as a baseline for the negotiation.

The replies might be more help if you would just say what country you are in as most of the regulars here are in the US . With the vehicle shortage there is not much of a chance at negotiation.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Actually I’m an iOS developer, so in the long run I’m hoping to create an app where I can read the modules I’m interested in. Yet for now all I need is a mileage and the past error codes.

But I guess then it depends more on the software that interprets the data (?), instead of on the bluetooth interface itself.

I’m in Hungary, where the local Hyundai dealer has an i30 1.5 DPi (port injected) demonstrator vehicle. I’m about to make an offer (planning to get a 5%-7% price cut depending on the mileage).

Rainman Ray’s Repair on youtube showed how his reader compared to the odometer. I suspect his reader is about a $20,000 unit but what he showed was a few miles different than that of the odometer. I think he was working on a VW but don’t recall. I guess I wouldn’t worry about the mileage.

1 Like

Thanks, seemingly tweaking milage is more of a thing of the past anyway.