Should I replace my much-loved beetle with another?

The new trans at 30K miles is pretty bad, but VW paid for the repair. The window and bad switches aren’t reliability issues IMO, just indicate poor quality. While the car has issues the main one seems to be you love it, but don’t trust it will last due to quality concerns.

Will a new VW to replace it solve these problems? I really don’t think you did substantial harm to your motor. The window problem remains, and the SRS light is still on, so the question of keeping or replacing the bug is back to you. If your plan was to trade in 2 years or less, I’d stick to the plan.

Get a Miata – more fun to drive (RWD rather than FWD) and MUCH more reliable.

Pretty much the exact thing that happened to you with the oil happened to me. I was driving along and the oil pressure gauge suddenly dropped off and then back on again. I pulled over immediately and added 3 quarts of oil. It had barely been 3000 miles since my last oil change so it was not exactly out of neglect that I was low on oil. That was about 7,000 miles ago. I have been running a heavier weight high mileage oil since then. I check my oil every other time I get gas and I have had no problems so far.
The car is a 1999 miata with about 130,000 miles on it. It is a car known for its reliability but due to its age and high mileage I have had a lot of repairs/maintenance done the most expensive of which was replacing the clutch. I don’t regret any of it for a second, a lot of the work I did myself which served as a great bonding experience.

If you really do love your car you will keep it. You need to make up your mind on that one. If you want a reliable car then I would not suggest getting a new beetle. I would suggest a mazda miata if you like convertibles. Keep in mind though, that ANY car will require costly maintenance if you keep it for more than 5- 10 years after new. Maybe you just want a NEW car and this business with the oil seems like a good justification for that.

Personally, I would not write off your beetle as being on its last legs already. It could have many years left. Even if it needs a new motor, thats still cheaper than a whole new car and could be worth fixing if you love the car.

Well, it sounds like the motor is shot, other than that was the car in good shape?

It the ONLY real problem you’ve had with the car is engine, you might just replace the engine and be on your way.

Now if you’ve had other expensive problems or problems that just can’t be fix for whatever reason, get rid of it. Otherwise I’d just replace the engine, and check the oil more often.

So if replacing the engine will make the car safe and reliable then I’d replace the engine if not get a different car.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

As I said in your other thread, its your choice, in the long run.

If you love the car like you say you do, then keep driving it, and save up the money to replace the engine when you have enough. This will allow the car to last as long as you want it to last you for the foreseeable future.

If the Newest Beetle comes out, and you love that new version more than yours, just trade your car in, and enjoy the new toy.

BC.

I used to drive customers for a large auto dealership that had lots selling a number of new and used brands. I noticed that if I was taking a customer to Chevy, Toyota, Subaru or Mazda it was usually for routine maintenance. But, if I was taking them in to VW or Audi it was more often than not for some major repairs.

Based on horror stories from customers, I will not buy a VW.

No there is not! Thanks for talking some sense into me! I’ve spent the last two days resigned to selling my bug and buying a Prius. Since I won’t be driving my baby, I really don’t care what I drive and at least the Prius gets good gas milege. But, after reading your posts I have reconsidered and I will be keeping my beetle. I can always put a new engine in if I have to, right? This way, I get to drive the car that most suits me, quirks and all! After making this decision, all my anxiety went away and I feel like myself again. As in, one of those crazy VW Beetle drivers unhinged by Fahrvergn?gen!! Thanks so much for your words of wisdom in my time of need.