Should I maintain or buy?

Having a bearing in the glove box is about the same as me having a thermostat and crank sensor in my trunk. I’ll still need to have someone put them in but I can procrastinate a little longer.

Some car-repair jobs, the labor time needed doesn’t seem like it will amount to much, but when you actually do it, it takes a surprising long time. Removing the old gasket material (like for a water pump) before you install a replacement gasket is a job that tends to be pretty time consuming. Another example, I replaced my 302-v8-equipped truck’s spark plug wires recently. The replacement set didn’t come custom fit for the engine. Each individual wire had to be sized (for the proper length) — turned out to be a pretty time consuming job.

There is absolutely nothingwrong with a Toyota with 95k miles. Worn seat? Ever heard of seat covers?
I have a 2004 4Runner with close to 200k…
In any case, if you can afford a new one - go for it!

Let us know what you decide, @melott.

I own a 2014 Toyota Highlander with over 190k miles. It runs great. I expect to keep it several more years.

Financially - this is not a smart move.

What is not a smart move??

Keep your 2014 and maintain it. It’ll be far cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

3 Likes

Find a place that will take customer provided parts, go to a garage not dealership, don’t use Toyota part, would be WAY cheaper than a few thousand dollars you would have to add in addition to selling your current car. Drink a soda and let someone else do the work. Or do it yourself for less than $50.

What will you do if you get new to you car and in a few months the new to you car has a worn out wheel bearing?

It’s just routine maintenance and not something to get rid of a car for. It’s not a big deal.

1 Like

Worst case on your Avalon might be the hybrid battery several years from now at the earliest (maybe never). They’re $2000 or so plus labor, still less than a few months of a new(er) car payment.

2 Likes

Lousy advice - customer provided parts will not be warrantied by the shop - if the part is defective the customer will have to pay labor to have it removed .

7 Likes

Milk it out for a few more years. Then once Toyota stops making gasoline vehicles, buy one the last year they make them. If you ever thought about buying a truly new gasoline vehicle, and that is something you want to experience,not many years left

True. Except that with shop provided parts, it’ll be next to impossible to prove they are defective. With warranty, virtually anything is “as designed”. That applies to factory warranty.

you should buy a new one

yes you’re absolutely right repair the old vehicle not a good idea