Should I fix the paid-off car or buy a new one?

Shops are charging $200 per hour today.

Some maybe, not all. I saw $85 posted at a brake and alignment shop yesterday. My hunch is that the average is between those two figures, closer to the lower.

The re4f non cvt trans is $750 avg used and the re0f cvt is 3X on avg. supply and demand. But OP wants it fixed, not replaced.

I just said that’s what I “paid” past tense, not what one would pay today depending on location. But the cost for a new solenoid pack would be cheaper than an overhaul by far anyway, which was the point of the comment.

Why I bother to explain, I dunno.

1 Like

The average in the Philadelphia metro area is $145.

You told the OP that you paid $250 for the repair but you did not tell him it was 30 years ago.

1 Like

Excuse me for being inexact. At my age it seemed like yesterday. Kids.

@stacree_179885, if your vehicle is NOT going into limp mode, then this may have been a transit code or the valve it partly stuck but the solenoid is still good. If that is the case, a simple drain and refill of the ATF could fix your problem.

You could help by first adding an additive meant to unstick valves in an automatic transmission like Trans fix or Seafoam Trans Tune (recomended), then after a few miles of driving, do the ATF change.

Just wondering, how did you make out with your vehicle?

Oh man its been a whirlwind. Turns out my Versa is a rare model that doesn’t have a CVT transmission (took 3 different shops to finally tell me that) but the part that needed replaced is obsolete so the entire trans had to be replaced anyway. Long story short, the dealership had my car for a month and I now have a used transmission and am short $3100. After doing research, it still beat selling it and buying another used car. Whatever my next car ends up being, don’t think I’ll go with a Versa. This was my first issue with it had no idea parts were so complicated with these models.

1 Like

Complicated applies to almost every vehicle made in one way or another.

That is often the case - especially in these times. You have a car you know and like enough to rehabilitate. I hope there’s some comfort there.

I just spent $1700 on my 2007 Town and Country van. We like the vehicle and don’t want to buy anything else any time soon. With a bit of luck, this will turn out to be a wise move. If not, it’s a gamble I chose to make.

1 Like

I don’t know what the part you needed is, but obsolete does NOT mean unavailable or out of stock. Obsolete means that it has been superceded by a newer design, but the parts have to be available for 10 years after the last part was used in the manufacture of your vehicle.

If 2011 was the last year for a geard transmission in the Versa, you missed that by one year, but the part might have still been found in a warehouse somewhere if the dealer just looked.

1 Like

I wish I could remember the specific part they said
they did mention looking into where ever they get their parts from and no one had any in stock or to order. I got the feeling that dealerships are more limited to who they partner with to get parts.

You took this car to three different shops for analyses, they don’t rely solely on new car dealers for replacement parts. If those shops cannot obtain the part, they cannot perform the repair.

The dealer relies on the warehouse for daily parts needs, dealers generally do not stock transmission parts.

I believe it was 2012 when Nissan began putting the infamous JATCO CVT in the Versa. Best to never buy a car with a JATCO CVT. I did my research and bought a new Versa in 2018 with a manual transmission. It’s been trouble free so far.

Based on my experience with Firestone; I wouldn’t even go that far.

In college I would buy the Firestone recaps when they were on sale. Four for $100 or two snow tires for $50. Haven’t bought Firestone since 1969. Now that I think about it, $175 for the car and $100 for tires. Where the heck did I get all the money?

Let me clarify–I took it to 3 different shops just because each one was giving me a different reading on the check engine light. Firestone said it was a transmission issue like I mentioned, so I went to get a second opinion. #2 shop told me they wouldn’t work on it after I told them it was a 2011 Versa, assuming it had a CVT. #3 was specifically a transmission repair shop and said it was an electrical issue not the transmission so they couldn’t work on it. At this point I was so frustrated I just took it to the dealer. They’re the ones who couldn’t locate the obsolete part (just remembered it was the ‘valve body’) and I just left it in their hands instead of driving around again trying to find someone who had the part.

I bought tires from TireRack recently. Firestone offered the best price on installation, did a good job. (They were also near my gym, so I walked over there to work out while I waited.) They also tried to sell me an additional list of repairs I knew I didn’t need and do myself anyway. I noticed it added up to exactly how much I had spent on the tires. I passed.