Should I buy a used 2011 Camry that had the radiator and water pump replaced to pass inspection?

The dealer is making up stories. They do that. Is there any state where radiators and water pumps are part of state inspections?

I suspect not state inspection, but part of the dealership inspection program. Some dealerships do care about their own reputation and desire lifetime repeat customers.

5 Likes

Have the car inspected by a mechanic of your choice, not the dealer. It may cost you a $100 diagnostic fee, but thatā€™s better than spending $10K on a piece of junk.

Personally, Iā€™d say a new water pump and radiator on a used car is a good thing. But have it checked over for any other issues before buying.

6 Likes

How long do you expect this car to last? To me, a ten year old car with 145,000 miles is close to, if not at the end of itā€™s life.

I donā€™t expect my teen to put much mileage on it quickly. I estimate 6,000 miles/ year at most. He needs a larger car with legroom as heā€™s quite tall and he felt comfortable in the Camry.

I would say by no means 150K miles and 10 years is close to the end of life for that car, given dealer and maintenance records do not lie.

you said ā€œmechanic reported no codesā€ā€¦
is it the only thing he reported??
if yes - you need a better mechanic!
if he actually gave you OK on the mechanicals, I would trust him more than all the virtual advise you will get over internet.

2005 Toyota Iā€™ve got for my daughter goes strong after reasonably limited reconditioning and repairs you mention are not out of line at all.

consider not only miles, but age too - rubber and plastics deteriorate with age, so having pump and radiator replaced is a good thing.

same logic goes for the ongoing maintenance.

a lot of people go well over time limit when not putting a lot of miles per year.
replace oil at least every 6 months or after no more than ā€¦ whatever manual prescribes (5000?), check oil and coolant levels regularly and you gonna be golden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. To thegreendrag0nā€¦ The mechanic I took it to was local and not my trusted mechanic. I took it before the dealerā€™s inspection took place. The mechanic did check under the car, under the hood, etc. They recommended replacing some parts due to age, nothing too serious, but did not mention the radiator or water pump. I called the mechanic back after the dealer performed the inspection and told me theyā€™d replaced the radiator and water pump. I wanted to verify with the mechanic the condition of the water pump/ radiator, as the mechanic hadnā€™t mentioned either to me as being a concern earlier. On the phone, the mechanic said they hadnā€™t noticed any residue around the water pump or radiator, but that since it had been pouring rain, they could not check for any chalky residue under the car (or check for leaks very easily). I would feel better if it were my trusted mechanic, but I was out of town and so Iā€™m still a little nervous unfortunately.

Also, you all have been very helpful. I appreciate the input.

The dye in the coolant is pink, easy to spot a leak. See the pictures in post # 17.

That would make me walk away from it I go by gut feeling in a case like that.

1 Like

Replacing a radiator on a ten year old car is not unusual.
I donā€™t know about the water pump, but on many engines water pumps are replaced at the same time as the timing belt. That might be the case.
Will the dealership allow you to have it inspected by your usual mechanic? Do they offer a warranty?
Any used car is a gamble.

3 Likes

4 cyl or v6? Do you know if itā€™s timing belt or timing chain?
I leased a 2010 Camry 4cyl. Itā€™s long gone.

If this is on the same lot or adjacent to the lot that the dealer sells their new cars, then it is a pretty good bet that the dealership has confidence in this car. They are pretty picky about the used cars they sell next to the new ones as they donā€™t want anyone to feel they got a lemon off their lot.

A radiator and water pump failure on a Toyota of this age would be a little premature, but not unheard of. I would have your mechanic run a leak down test or a test for hydrocarbons in the coolant, or at least check for bubbles in the radiator while the engine is running. If the head gasket passes these tests, then there is not likely to be any damage to the engine.

No codes is not a very reliable indicator of the condition of the vehicle. A mechanic who is checking out the vehicle for you should do a lot more than a code check.

2 Likes

Thank you, Keith. The mechanic I took it to was local and not my trusted mechanic. I took it before the dealerā€™s inspection took place. The mechanic did check under the car, under the hood, etc. I called the mechanic back after the dealer performed the inspection and told me theyā€™d replaced the radiator and water pump. I wanted to verify with the mechanic the condition of the water pump/ radiator, as the mechanic hadnā€™t mentioned either to me as being a concern earlier. On the phone, the mechanic said they hadnā€™t noticed any residue around the water pump or radiator, but that since it had been pouring rain, they could not check for any chalky residue under the car. I would feel better if it were my trusted mechanic, but I was out of town and so Iā€™m still a little nervous.

Your pre-purchase inspection sounds like it was worthless.

1 Like

My only concern is that possibly the dealership might have replaced the radiator and water pump because the engine was overheating, and they were shotgunning parts at it in an attempt to rectify that. But thereā€™s really no way to know that. A long test drive will often tell you what you need to know. If it doesnā€™t overheat in a 30 minute test drive, for example, itā€™s probably not going to have an issue with overheating driving it a lot further.

If you drove it awhile when you got it inspected (and before the dealer replaced the parts) and the engine didnā€™t attempt to overheat, I would view the new radiator and water pump as a good thing.

2 Likes

All model year 2011 US-spec Camrys have timing chains

It is a v6 with a timing chain. It has a 2.5L engine.

1 Like

Not a huge issue, but I believe a 2.5 is going to be a 4 cylinder. A 3.5 is a v6. We have the 3.5 in our 2013 Highlander. Itā€™s been great so far at 150k miles or so. Either engine is good, Iā€™m sure.

Yes, you are correct. 2.5L and 4 cylinder.