Should I accept this free SUV?

Both vehicles may be in top notch condition and neither may suffer any problems.

That being said, I agree with Volvo V70. Everything may be ducky at first but at some point mechanical problems will surface or one side will start suffering trader’s remorse and a subconcious grudge may develop.

It’s very easy to say dearest friend at this point in time. If the friendship does suffer in the future then it’s obvious the mechanical wedge was a bit too strong.
Maybe a notarized bill of sale with a notation about the vehicles being “AS IS” and the understanding that neither side will hold the other responsible financially or in a personal grudge would be a good idea.
In the event that something did happen that piece of paper could provide some food for thought and give one party or the other something to reflect upon and saving the friendship while possibly taming any bad thoughts.

A piece of paper won’t change ones emotions. Don’t do the swap.

I fully agree that a piece of paper cannot control emotions. The point there is that it could give either side something to think about when or if something does go sour and could possibly salvage a friendship after a few days of reflective thought.

Hopefully no bad feelings will surface due to a trade. I’ve gotten involved with “friends” while doing trades or mechanical repairs and 90% of the time it led to trouble and bad feelings; mostly because I wanted to be paid for what I did.
Some of those friends went MIA and have never been found or seen again even with an internet and court records search.

I saved somebody’s bacon a few years ago. They really needed the car to get around, pick up the kids, go shopping, basically for everything

I got everything sorted out. Fixed all the problems, the car was running great

They never paid me, they still owe me $400. Realistically, I know I’ll never see the money

Through the grapevine, I’ve heard that they also owe several other people lots of money

They’ve lost lots of friends

Apparently, they’ve come into a large amount of money, but they’ve not repaid anybody

Total deadbeats

:angry: