"Selling This Car To You At A Loss" - Truth or Sales Tactic?

There was a joke many years ago, in which a customer questioned a car salesman’s claim that the dealership’s prices were so low that they lost money on every sale. When the customer pointed out that it wouldn’t be possible to stay in business with that type of policy, the salesman replied, “Well, sure–we lose money on each sale, but then we make it up through volume!”

As stupid as that reply sounds, I have heard salesmen make claims that were almost as ridiculous.

The story VDCdriver related on this forum about car shopping and how traction control works is the one that cracks me up every time I think about it. If awards were being dished out for the most ludicrous sales comment ever made that one should win hands down… :slight_smile:

Just in case some newer forum members don’t know the true story to which ok4450 is referring, perhaps it is worth repeating:

Some years ago, my brother and SIL were shopping for a new car. They had already been through several showrooms, and had done their homework. In many of those showrooms, they had encountered salesmen who were essentially uninformed charlatans, and they really didn’t want to deal with any more of that type. So, at their next stop, my brother decided to give the salesman a little test.

My brother pointed to a button on the dashboard of a new car in the showroom (the button was the one that activated the Traction Control feature), and asked the salesman, “What does this do?”
(Note: My brother knew exactly how traction control works, and was using this question to gauge the guy’s knowledge of what he was selling)

So, what was the salesman’s reply?
He said…“Oh, when you push that button, it makes the car heavier”.

As he and his wife suppressed their desire to laugh out loud, my brother said, “You know, I am REALLY impressed that this manufacturer has devised a way to repeal the laws of physics with a simple push-button”. While the salesman scratched his head in puzzlement, my brother and SIL exited that showroom in search of intelligent life elsewhere.

Thanks everyone, for all your thoughts and info. Ha ha, love that story! I requested an internet quote through Edmund’s, per a friend’s recommendation who bought the same car, so quotes are coming in now. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Another joke: How do you tell if a car saleman is lying? His lips are moving! (sorry, missed it above)

Unkind, I know, but many saleman will say just about anything to justify a price.

Another joke: How do you tell if a car saleman is lying? His lips are moving!

Gee, I wonder where I’ve seen that line before. Perhaps it was earlier in this thread… :wink:

At the risk of offending someone, here’s one you may not have heard. Three surgeons are at the bar having a drink and discussing who is easiest to operate on. The first one says, why it’s electrical engineers because all of their organs are color coded with the arteries and veins that feed them. The second says, no it’s astronauts because not only are they color coded, they have redundant organs so if one fails, you just hook up the backup. The third doctor disagrees with them and says the easiest person to operate on is a salesperson because they only have two organs; a mouth and an @$$h0!e and they’re interchangeable!

VDC, that is something I do routinely when I am first approached by a car salesperson. I ask them a question I already know the answer to in an attempt to gauge their knowledge. Actually, I do this in other sales situations as well when it’s a face to face interaction (vs online) if I need anything other than a warm body to fill out the paperwork.