Seeking very aggressive snow tires for blood transport Expedition

Would an H3 be better than the Expedition?

Not sure which one would be better…the H2 is based on the same platform as the Expedition. The H3 is based the same platform as the Trailblazer. USUALLY a bigger/heavier is better in DEEP snow. So stick with the Expedition.

Anything short of a HUGE STATE SNOW PLOW won’t get you through a 5’ snow drift. 2’ or more and the snow is now lifting your vehicle off the road.

In Pulaski you need a snowmobile.

Luckily I have been able to drive to the shallower slope of snow drifts.
One time went on the other side of the highway.

Dug myself out of the snow drift at the hospital, then proceeded to dig out the ambulance entrance.
Hospital maintenance personnel could not get to the hospital.
They should have stayed overnight.

That just depends how crazy you are.  I've gone through 2 foot plus drifts in my Buick Regal.  I did crack the front bumper on one a few winters back though.

In such situations when time is critical, (they called back asking where I was),
I am always afraid of getting stuck.
So I have dug out some drifts before just trying to plow through them.
Maybe I could have pushed through them, but how does one know?
If I get stuck, it takes even longer to get free than having first cleared snow.

(Just as when I was driving an ambulance with a cardiac arrest patient.
The streets were very slippery and I drove conservatively.
The patient died.
Had I driven less slowly would the patient have lived?
But would I have slid off the road and further delayed arrival?
I still wonder abouthat.)

Just to reply to the comment of snow tires and rims. I have found that using 16" steel rims with snow tires presents absolutely no problem with 17" spare as long as the OUTSIDE diameter is the same. 265/70/16 has the same outside diameter as 265/ 65/17 for my 4 Runner.

The problem will be the difference in tread. That’s why it’s necessary to have a spare with the similar tread design on an emergency vehicle and same outside diameter, which “may” not match wheel size if aspect ratios differ accordingly. If potential is there for deep snow, as mentioned, only legitimate snow tires will do…with snowflake emblem.

If this is to be used as an emergency vehicle, DO NOT skimp on tires. I agree with “GressyJack” and would not mess with stock width. It’s a marginal handler at best, and a rollover on narrower winter tires is a greater possibility.

Emergency vehicles must be prepared to be driven aggressively by their vary nature but within the confines of their equipment. So equip it well.