Sears selling Craftsman

I was under the impression that they have been charging sales tax in all states for a year or so, but I could be wrong. Perhaps they are only charging sales tax to NJ customers, in which case I can thank Governor Chris Krispy Kreme for yet another assault on the wallets of everyone in this state.

Yeah Amazon cried their eyes out and had big tantrums about having to charge sales tax. Remember all the threats to pull out of states with tax? I guess it was just too profitable to give up. They charge in Minnesota now. Don’t know if they charge everywhere but its just a matter of time. Instead of leaving Minnesota behind though, they built a new facility. Now they do all their crying at the Washington Post.

Eisenhower warned of the military industrial complex. I think we should be as concerned about the three to five major owners of the media in the future.

Definitely wrong. I buy from them all the time and never had any sales tax applied.

You have to pay a sales tax for on-line purchases if the company you’re buying from has a physical presence in your state. 45 states collect sales tax. There are only 23 states Amazon has to collect sales tax from. So I’m assuming they have a physical presence in that state (i.e. Warehouse or shipping/receiving center).

Then you must know something economists don’t know, because they’re predicting less then 5 years. I MIGHT agree with you if they had an actual proven businessman at the helm. But they don’t. They have a Hedge Fund manager who’s track record is to dismantle companies and sell off the pieces. When all the good pieces are sold off, then scuttle what’s left.

I’m with Mike on this one, although I think the economists are being kind.
But the truth is that nobody outside their corporate offices knows. It’s also possible that changes in the economy will happen these next few years that will change Sears’ position in the marketplace.

We pay tax on internet purchases in MD, too. Of course, we do have an Amazom processing center here.

Yeah, I wrote that WAG in stone.

I’m guessing based on Sears business where I live. I don’t have anything else to go on. I’ll still shop there since the store warranty doesn’t last long. The manufacturers warranty is handled by the manufacturer and I am more concerned with that.

Well, since your state doesn’t have a sales tax, how in the world could Amazon–or any other merchant–possibly charge sales tax on purchases that are shipped to NH?

Perhaps I should have stated that I was under the impression that Amazon has been charging sales tax in all venues where a sales tax exists.
Is that better?

They cannot charge sales tax for deliveries to states that don’t have sales taxes.
And the cannot NOT charge sales tax for deliveries to states that DO have sales taxes!

NH’s largest mall, call the “Pheasent Lane Mall”, has a small part of the southern part of its parking lot over the state line to Massachusetts. Sears is right at the south end of the mall, just above the state line. Some years back I bought a few gallons of paint at Sears and asked if they could put it in my truck for me. They asked me where I was parked. I was parked two lanes away from the store’s door, just over the state line. They advised me that they’d have to charge me Mass sales tax if they did
 putting it in the car for me constituted a “delivery”. I moved my car to above the state line and they loaded the paint for me!

1 Like

My local NAPA has always been closed Sundays. It’s been almost a year since I’ve been there. Next time I’m in the neighborhood on Sunday I will check it out.

I think they are currently made by Eureka even though most are not vacuum cleaners.

My local Napa was also always closed on Sundays, until just a few months ago

I suppose they recognized the need to be competitive

And that’s a good thing, because I often work on my cars on Sundays, and I’d rather shop at NAPA, verus O’Reilly or Autozone

The NAPAs around here are all open on Sundays but with somewhat reduced hours. They cater to the DIY crowd as well as the shops so Sunday is a necessity. Plus the main warehouse is also at least open on Saturday so a part can be ordered and you can drive ten miles to go pick it up right away.