Scary... Car VIN / Owner - Website I discovered By Chance

That would be a nice convenience. Wonder if I can request it.

@Barkydog; You can definitely call your CC company and ask to be notified for any purchase over certain amount.
Mine all do that. They would also block anything that is suspicious. Lets say I live in CA and suddenly someone tries to use the card in Florida, it gets blocked UNLESS they see that I bought a plane ticket and made hotel reservations/etc.

I called them for my last trip as I always do, to give a heads up, the guy said the system has already tracked everything down, we know when you leave, when you return/etc. Like I have two wives!

The WENDYS fast food chain was recently hacked and our Discover card was replaced by Discover as a precaution. I can go online and set dollar limits and other things to help prevent fraud. The tracking does not bother me.

Since my VIN is registered with the state, I always assumed it was a matter of public record. If I owned a registered gun, or held a license to carry a concealed weapon, Iā€™d expect that to be a matter of public record as well, just like real estate ownership records, such as deeds.

The issue I have is all the other personal info that tags along. Like phone number.

And people wonder WHY thereā€™s so much identity fraud.

Well not really public information. In Minnesota, just because the information is held by the government doesnā€™t make it public. Concealed Carry information is private data and not released to the public, as well as vehicle ownership information and drivers license information. In fact there are severe penalties for even unauthorized law enforcement officers to access the computer information. Minnesota though has one of the most open public data laws in the country and its still private. For years now all data is considered public unless there is a specific statute making it private or confidential. Thatā€™s why things like real estate tax information and court records are available to the public. There has been no law passed making them private.

@bing
This is the site that prompted me to start this discussionā€¦
Have you got your VINs handy?
http://vin.place/

It didnā€™t work on used cars Iā€™ve purchased, but did on new and CPO vehicles purchased.
CSA

Well thatā€™s interesting. Like before I really donā€™t know what to make of it. They have only one car listed for me that I bought used as a rental return from the dealer. They have two cars listed for my wife that we donā€™t own anymore and not the current one. I suspect its coming from Motor Vehicle who has been known to sell this information for insurance companies etc. The folks I checked in South Dakota donā€™t show up at all.

Also looks like its a lead in to sell more information on court records etc. Wonā€™t find anything on me but if I wanted to pay the $15 maybe theyā€™d have my speeding tickets in there but Iā€™m not that curious.

Like I said though, address and phone numbers etc. can be gotten out of the phone book. I donā€™t know how anyone would use the VIN unless they were going to try and get a new title or something.
Of course once you have the VIN, all the features and everything on the car is tied to that, just like from CarFax. Interesting to be able to gather all that just from a name, but they had 32 cars listed for my neighbor but from people in Illinois, Texas, etc. but not him. So guess it depends how common your name is. Maybe John Brown would have a couple thousand listed.

I think some of those websites are worthless, and maybe have amusement value at best

The online yellow pages and other ā€œinformationā€ websites list a deceased friendā€™s name and address . . . itā€™s NOT a common name at all

Anybody hoping to do anything nefarious with the name and address will likely be wasting everybodyā€™s time

The interesting thing is this . . . it lists his age, but he never got to reach that age. He died several years ago, and he would be approximately that age, if he were still around. I was literally one of the pall-bearers . . . ? . . . so I know with 100% certainty he is dead, and the information floating around on that particular website is useless

You could really stress yourself out, wondering what personal information MIGHT be out there. Just remember a lot of it is just plain wrong, outdated, or useless