Santa Fe (2014/15) will be my 1st pre owned-Hertz or Dealer?

Damaged weather stripping on a used car will not be covered by a warranty. A weatherstrip that fails to seal properly that is not damaged may be covered by a warranty.

Whether or not a warranty will cover a “broken” part depends on what the broken part is, if you break the drivers door glass, no. If the window regulator fails and is broken, it may be a covered component. I think the confusion is on how the questions were asked and answered.

For a CPO vehicle, you might look at the CarFax at the dealer’s web site. These vehicles are usually off lease, and I’ve found that I could learn a fair amount about the vehicles and the dealer with the CarFax. I recently looked at CPO cars at a nearby dealer. None of them were delivered at their shop. Instead, they were all from the NYC metro area ( I live in MD). I wondered why the don’t sell their own leased cars as CPO. The more attractively priced cars were sometimes in accidents, had several warranty repairs, and spotty maintenance records. I only found one of seven on their lot that I thought was worth considering. This exercise also made me think I shouldn’t buy a CPO or new car from these guys. You may not learn what I did since CarFax only reports what they find out about, but IMO it worked for me.

1 Like

I don’t know what brand you were looking at . . .

When I worked at the Benz dealer, cars that had been in accidents were excluded from becoming CPOs

Perhaps somebody at the dealer you mentioned blatantly looked the other way, and let some vehicles become CPOs, which actually should have gone to the auction or the dealership’s own as-is used car lot

E350, 2014 and 2015. If I wanted a CPO 750i, I would start at the BMW dealers.

Hi everyone–

I have been doing quite a bit of extra research this week which is why I haven’t commented. I did go to both Hertz and Enterprise (car sales). I learned from Enterprise that they keep to sell the top 3% of their fleet, the rest is auctioned off. Hertz keeps vehicles that they have spent less than 2,000 on anything over that goes to auction. Hertz will not transfer vehicles to a local area, but Enterprise will. It was good to get some clarification on all of that. Enterprise said the warranty transfers to the buyer as they will be the first true owner of the vehicle. Hertz said I would get some of the warranty, but he didn’t have what I was looking for so he didn’t go into it beyond that.

I have also been combing the carfax reports and looking at some other sites besides dealer ones. Not sure I can mention them or not, but one one you put the vin # in gives a good breakdown. It tells you what should be on the car, approximate values after 3 years, a price comparison to comparable vehicles, what others in your area are selling for (or sold for), etc. In other words lots of good info and best of all it is free! I was surprised using this site that some of the CPO’s I was looking at weren’t as good as I thought–value retention wise. Two were local owns/leases and two were auction cars from other states and their faired better. All vehicles were same make, model, year, and comparable miles and equipment. All I can think of is our area is severe for driving conditions so maybe that is it.

The good news is I have found a car! It is a local car. More outskirts of the metro area than in the metro area which means more highway than bumper to bumper driving and that is good. It does have some miles on it and is 3 years old. I have a warranty with it and the dealership I purchased it at (today) I have learned has one of the best reputations around. Much better than I thought. I went to tell an acquaintance about the car and she stopped me and said that that dealership group is the only one she will buy from and why. While that was going on some others also came up and basically said the same thing. I wasnt anywhere near the dealership when this occurred. I had already felt secure and fine about buying the vehicle and that just reinforced it all.

I will say that this vehicle is in GOOD shape physically, via carrfax, and according to info gathered on the two other sites! This week alone every other vehicle I looked at was really beaten up and/or had chunks of seat cushions missing, cracked windows (Enterprise), glove compartments that fell off, and seats that malfunctioned (heat was on, I turned it off, and it decided work anyway). None of those vehicles were over 3 years old, some were rental’s that had gone to auctions, and one or two others were local cars, and most didn’t even have 40,000 miles on them.

Right now I am just very thankful I found something that I feel confident and good about after having done all the research and asking as many questions as I did. I do thank you all for the responses, encouragement, suggestions, and questions!

3 Likes

Congratulations!

Your homework really paid off for you, in the end

In all likelihood, that Santa Fe will be good to you, for many years to come

Did you buy this from a Hyundai dealer?

“I have a warranty with it . . .”

Does this mean remaining new car warranty, or did you purchase a factory extended warranty?

Congrats on the purchase and we are assuming it is a Santa Fe (or a Santa Fe Sport?).

I would be curious to know what the other websites are but I guess I can google it.

As far as Hertz and Enterprise saying they only sell the good ones and auction the rest, I was told the volume is so high that they can’t sell all the cars anyway and send a lot of them to auction.

New car dealers do the same thing, keeping the ones that need the least work to get ready for resale and auctioning off the others.

Thanks, I did purchase a Santa Fe Sport 2.0 and yes I did purchase a warranty only because the vehicle I purchased was close to the end of it’s warranty and because it was at a Toyota dealership, not Hyundai. I hadn’t intended to do that, but this vehicle was just too good to pass up–physically and price wise. The group that I bought it from does have a Hyundai dealership. They use the same extended warranty for all dealerships in their group. To be honest, I used several websites in my searches, but the one I was referring to in my last posting was iseecars.com.

2 Likes

@ryanthompson5412 You have logged on to a thread with what has been proven spam by this leasing company.

@cdaquila Here we go again?

1 Like