Safety

Nearly all cars built today are very safe, especially compared to cars built as little as 20 years ago, as others point out! I would buy the car with the best VISIBILTY; for seniors, like myself, an “easy to see out of” car feels much safer.

If you study traffic accident statistics, you will find that 85% of all highway deaths are caused by driver error, similar to “pilot error”, except that nearly all were avoidable.

With your past experience of being a careful pilot, you will be able to avoid most of that 85% by defensive driving. In other words, you will contribute to highway safety, rather than being part of the problem.

Of the remaining 15% of cause of highway deaths, they were weather conditions, road design, poor car maintenance(the major one), and an infintessimal percentage related to poor and unsafe car design.

So, enjoy your retirement, buy the exact car you and your wife like, and take a defensive driving course, and a winter driving course if you live in a cold part of the country.

Happy retirement!

“F-4D,E’s, F-104, and F-105’s, T-38’s as an Instructor, B-373 and B-727’s, L-1011.”

Wasn’t it a bit boring driving a bus after driving a race car?

I tend to prefer smaller cars because they usually handle better, and frankly, I am usually alone and don’t need a huge vehicle. When I go out with the wife and kids, we take the van. That said, my small car is fairly heavy and rugged for it’s size. I don’t think you need a tank to be safe, but I won’t buy a tin can on wheels either.

Also, remember that the most critical safety device in a car is the nut behind the wheel! If your reaction time isn’t what it used to be, slow down and keep some space around you. Look into the Smith System of defensive driving that truck/bus drivers are taught.