Safe to use blowtorch near oil pan and catalytic converter?

Whenever working under a car, always wear eye protection. I often wear a full face shield for that kind of work.

If you have any doubts about your ability to do the job safely in your driveway, hire it out. You won’t save any money if there’s a hospital bill attached.

Whenever I’m working under my Corolla I support it w/ jackstands on the sides (at the car’s jacking points) , rear wheels chocked, parking brake on, and 6 x 6 's in combo with other wood on each side that would (hopefully) support the car should it come off the jack-stands or in the unlikely event the jack-stands fail. I jack it in the middle, under the engine support, another approved jacking point. That lifts both front wheels enough to place the jack-stands. After the jack-stands are in place I lower the jack enough to test to make sure they will support all the weight. I’ll leave the jack there, just snugged up to the support.

It sounds like you are fairly new to working under a car. Suggest to hold your fire, and secure all the necessary safety equipment, wheel chocks, wood, lighting, etc, before continuing.

1 Like

I tested the car out by rocking it from the top before I went under, was solid. The movement I felt was most likely the exhaust area.

Jack stands I have do not work with the pinch welds, was placing the jack stands there at first but could see it bending slightly. That is the spot repair manuals state to use too. I feel the subframe is a better, sturdier option. I lift it from the front tow hook that is part of the sub frame.

Thanks

Some folks here say they use a hockey puck with a slit cut in it to match the dimension of the pinch weld. I have no source for hockey pucks, so I use a 2x4 block with a slit sawn in it (across the grain). I’m overly cautious probably, but I do live in an earthquake prone area. Just had a 4.7 quake here a couple days ago.

1 Like

Seen the ones they make specifically for cars Amazon and Youtube, the ABN brand has some good reviews, not much more money than a hockey puck too. Will probably try one of those at some point.

1 Like

here you go, George:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rubber-Slotted-Floor-Jack-Pad-Frame-Rail-Adapter-For-Pinch-Weld-Side-Pad/282794803524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Oh come on now, there has to be a sporting goods store somewhere fairly close. :rofl:

73 lbs. I have to carry it up from the basement every time I use it. I’m 72 years old and fortunate that I can still do it.

1 Like

Third floor here but at least there is enough pavement where I can just wheel it to the car. But times like that is where a garage would be nice.