Rough idle after punching the gas

The old accel pump squirted gas but poorly. The new one definitively works better but it did not fix the rough idle.

So, if I take apart the distributor should I be able to tell if the mechanical advance is stuck?

What is a sticky vacuum? As far as I can tell none are leaking.

If I remove or plug the vacuum that goes to the distributor and fire it up, will that tell me anything (based on whether or not anything changes)?

One more tid bit, there is no loss in power.

I opened the distributor and the advance doesn’t seem to be stuck. It’s hard to tell how far it’s supposed to go back. I pulled off the vacuum hose which didn’t change anything. Put a lit cigarette near the disconnected vacuum hose, definitely getting vacuum.

SO, when this crap first started I tried turning the idle down and it got worse the further I went down so I turned it back up just so it woudn’t stall. My wife suggested I try it again. I did (to humor her) except this time I turned the idle screw back until it was about to fall out then turned it forward a quarter turn until it stayed running. It’s running smooth now. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for reporting back your results - and congratulations for sticking with it! Is it left a mystery: why the rough idle happened when it did?

After driving around, it’s running way better but still is a little funny.

The little bit of wiggling of the rotor you did may have freed it up.

What ever worked, glad it’s running better now :smile:

I was thinking wiggling might have done something too. If that were the case, would that explain why it’s still a little funny, like maybe it’s sticky?