Roll starting

Thanks but I got a 404 error when I tried to access the link-I understand why you cant roll a worm drive-Kevin

It looks like part of the link was left out of the hyperlink. Let me see if it happens again. If part of the link isn’t blue and underlined, try copying and pasting the entire link to your address field manually.

http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/05_tC_Shop_Manuals/Repair Info/Repair Manual/Manual Transmission-Transaxle/Differential Case Assy (E350)/conponen.pdf

Ha! The link gets even shorter when I post it! I think it’s because there are spaces in the address.

Try this-----> http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/05_tC_Shop_Manuals/Repair Info/Repair Manual/Manual Transmission-Transaxle/Differential Case Assy (E350)/conponen.pdf

I appreiciate it, but I cant even get the computer to copy and paste the link,will try manually transcribing however(have an old computer and old operating system-my e-mail has even been screwing up)-Kevin Maybe next time I’ll go some place besides Wal-mart and buy a computer-Kevin

A wee bit of clarification:
All of the gears in a drivetrain can be reverse turned. There are no worm drives in the drivetrain. For those who were able to access the sketch, the ring gear in it is a helical gear that meshes with another helical gear. It’s a FWD assembly with a transversely mounted engine, and the axis of the drive axles is parallel to the axis of the crankshaft. With a RWD system, the ring gear would be driven by a pinion gear, and the movement could be driven in the oposite direction.

The reason that rolling one wheel forward turns the other backward rather than turning the driveshaft is because with both wheels elevated the path thorugh to the opposing wheel is usually the path of least resistance.

Yep,I was just referring to worm drives in general- you want to see some wonderful incredible ,how do they do that drives,check out Gleasmans work(the the inventor of the" Torsen" drive-Kevin

Thanks Whitey, finally got the link to work,daughter showed me what I doing wrong(more fumble fingers .then the computers fault) -Kevin

I’ve seen ths Torsen drive systems before. I don’t know what the advantages would be of replacing the regular gears with the worms, but I have to assume there’s some. Cost mut be way up there.

Well the real advantage was the way it would almost intelligently divide the torque-far better then a standard LSD with clutches and the man is a genius,he has came up with some real novel,yet appropiate drive systems-Kevin

True. I’ve seen these systems before, but for the life of me I can’t remember where. I believe it was on a very high end supercar.

I believe Toyota used the the Torsen Diff in a vehicle or two-Kevin

I, too, used to push start my MGB in reverse. Never knew that it could cause excessive drive train problems. However, I have heard (and can someone confirm or refute this?) that push starting a vehicle is bad for the catalyitic converter. I really can’t see how or why.

Round about 73-74 I had a drummer friend who often had to push start his 68 Camaro.
Pushing forward, he’d need our help to push start.
But in his front driveway, he could push it ( actually PULL it while being in the open driver’s door area )
backward himself, hop in , pop the clutch, and away he’d go.

Reverse was the only way to push start solo. ( possibly due to the ratio )

Those with stick shift vehicles and a need or perhaps just curiosity should TRY to bump-start the vehicle by using the reverse gear and see how it goes, just so you get the feel of it…Then post back here with your experience… Good Luck…

The most important thing is to make sure whatever you do, it turns the engine in the way it is supposed to turn. For a forward gear, push-start the car in a forward direction. If you use reverse gear, you have to push the car backwards.

It’s harder to push start with the gear ratio used for reverse, but I imagine it can be done.

When I lived in Steamboat Springs Colorado sometimes I had to drive up a really steep dirt road to get to my favorite fishing spot – it was really more like a trail than a road, with a lot of rocks – anyway, I used to back the car uphill so I had the lower gear ratio. That’s the only way I could make it up that hill.

Because of the chance of loading the exhaust with unburnt gasoline-Kevin

I’ve done it many times myself with no problem. It is easier to push start in 2nd gear.

easier yet in 3rd, or 4th.

My ideal car wouldn’t even have a starter motor. But you wouldn’t need to push start it either. Instead, there’d be some kind of ratcheting wind-up spring loaded mechanism to start the car. You’d just wind it up, press “start”, it would unwind and turn the engine, away you’d go. If cleverly designed, it could wind itself up, making use of any braking forces applied in the prior trip.

What’s good about this? No starter, battery, or high current connection problems! The reason for the huge heavy battery we all haul around everywhere we go is to start the car. Look at all the weight you’d eliminate by making the starting of the car a 100% mechanical process. The battery could be 1/10th the weight. And if it didn’t hold a charge, no problem, the car would still start and go even with a weak battery.

What do you think? A mechanical starting mechanism? That’s the way some cars used to work in the first place. No more being stranded just because of a dead battery or loose connection. Eureka!

@GeorgeSanJose–Sears marketed a lawnmower with a wind-up spring starter back in the 1960s. I owned one–purchased it in 1971 used for $15. I don’t think it wound itself up. As I recall, I had to wind it up when I wanted to start the engine. I didn’t have any problem with that type of starter, although I have no problem with a notched pulley and a starter rope. There must have been some problem with this system, because the more expensive mowers have an electric start.

My car battery is about the size of two motorcycle batteries, so no, I don’t really see the point in eliminating that small amount of weight.