Repurchase or low cash settlement/keep the car - continuation of the '11 Subaru Forester with P050A

fI’ve tried to post a comment three times but it’s not being approved I guess for some reason. I did run my car through Kelly Blue Book and it shows a trade-in value of around $18,500. So the repurchase should be a little better than the trade-in value. I’m going to have them put together a written offer for repurchase, as well as the offer for cash settlement and see what I’ve got. Then go from there.

If I buy a different SUV I guess it would be a RAV or CRV as I’ve always had Honda and Toyota’s. Had a 1985 Corolla for 20 years, then a 1998 Accord, bought used in 2005 that I kept until I bought the 2011 Forester. Any thoughts on the 2013 RAV or CRV?

No, not trade-in. That means you are leaving money on the table. This is not your problem, it is Subaru’s problem. They owe you the value of a similar car on their lot, not what they would pay the person that left it there.

NADA shows a clean trade value of about 19-20k on a standard Forester. Half a dozen dealer listings for various optioned 2011 Foresters in my area have them priced at about 21-25k so the 18.5 sounds a bit lowball considering the aggravation you’ve been through.

I can just about guarantee once that car is handed back over to them it won’t be but a short time before some unfortunate soul is going to have to continue to wrestle the headache you may be rid of,
They may even show up on this forum begging for help.

As to legalities, Subaru of America actually doesn’t manufacture anything. SOA is only a sales/marketing wing of Fuji Heavy Industries with Subaru being only one division of FHI.
Any offer presented should be considered very carefully before agreeing to it because the only thing that SOA and the dealer care about is eliminating the headache and making a bit of money while doing so.

Looks like 2011 wasn’t a good year for Subaru Foresters. I too own a 2011 Forester, bought in December of 2011, with serious issues. Serious oil consumption issue that has been addressed 6 times, to the point that a week ago Subaru replaced my engine (short block) under warranty. Then yesterday, anti freeze and white smoke began blowing out my A/C ducts and the car overheated. Radiator looks empty, but overflow tank is full. (Heater core or Head Gasket).

I’m working with SOA (Subaru of America) and they are actually very nice and helpful. My options look like buyback as well, or replacement. I’m opting for replacement for the following reasons:

1. With buyback under the Subaru Warranty 3/36,000 and Lemon Laws, they are required to pay the purchase price of the vehicle, plus all other monthly finance charges, tax, etc. So they are required to basically pay off your car loan. But they keep the car and so unless you have 20 grand in your pocket, or can get refinanced quickly, you better have some good sneakers!

2. With replacement the are required to give you a new, identical or nearly identical vehicle. You continue to make payments and the only thing that changes is the VIN number with the bank and title company. But you get a NEW car with NO out of pocket cost. Seems like the best deal to me, unless you don’t want another Subaru.

I’ll keep everyone informed as things progress. The car is going to the dealer in about a half hour, and I’ve make it clear that I’m not coming back for it.

MPR

Dealer called this afternoon. They pressure checked the cooling system and found that the radiator had a large crack at the top. Looks like they damaged it either removing or putting in the new engine. We are now in a loaner, a 2013 Crosstrek that I LOVE. They will order a radiator on Monday, and it will probably be about 3 or 4 days til completion. They did mention that this is going to reflect as part of the original issue with the oil leaking, which makes 7 trips to fix the same problem. Even a new engine didn’t fix things!

Since you say the replacement engine overheated when the coolant was lost I would want no part of that car now at this point. Who knows what has happened to the engine, especially the gaskets, when it overheated. It may run ok now but that could mean more troubles later down the road after the warranty is over with. Soob engines do not take overheating well at all.

My vote is with Cougar and for a rep;lacement car.

I would take option 1. I did this many years ago when I bought a new Monte Carlo that turned out to be a lemon. I have never regretted taking the money. I just wanted that vehicle out of my life.

Good for them, coming through for you like that! I’d go for the new replacement car. It should be reasonable similar to the one they are taking back. Will it be a 2013 with the same trim level and options? I’d be flexible with color and options that don’t mean a lot to you.