Replacing brake drum; not enough clearance past new shoes

Thanks for squaring me away on the 8 & 9 " guys . Just watched a video of installing shoes on a Concord which appears to be the same setup . Can’t see anything wrong with the way you did it . I think I’m with those that said the parking brake is likely the issue .
That left shoe does appear taller though , maybe mismatched shoes .

It looks to me like the left shoe in your pics is taller than the right one.

The shoes are off center. The shoes are floating and can be bumped into place by hand. Next “scoop” the shoes from below with the drum to further center them, then while sliding the drum on rock the drum left to right to better center the shoes.

The wrong shoes can be a problem but you probably won’t get wrong ones two times in a row. No real need to get them from Ford dealers. Just compare them to the old ones. The picture did look like wrong parts.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, guys. I’ll be sure to take everything into consideration when I get a spare weekend to take off the wheels again. No problem putting the old shoes back on at all, and everything looks identical to the installation I did on the new ones, but when I try again I’ll definitely try it without the parking brake cable, make sure everything is centered, and that the anchors are seated.

Might buy a new set of shoes first from a different manufacturer just for the helluvit; they’re cheap on RockAuto.

I don’t see the starwheel assembly in any of your pictures. It should be under the wheel cylinder.

This vehicle doesn’t have the old star wheel we are all familiar with . It appears that it has a vertical adjustment wheel that is different in design .

I like Rockauto and don’t want to influence you but I have had a couple issues with parts sent. I got a wire set for a V8 instead of a V6 once. I made it work but obviously was the wrong set. I also got a brand new AC water pump that leaked right out of the box. The dealer put it in and took it out again no charge and put one of theirs in. Just small issues that I never said anything about but there is a chance they sent the wrong shoes. It comes from all over and not just one central warehouse so you never know.

For things like this, it’s better to buy locally

That way, if there’s a problem it’s just a quick trip down the road to get the correct parts

I might get some heat over this, but I have had good luck with the middle of the pack Autozone pads, esp if they give lifetime warranty. Returns are easy too.