Replacing Air Bag... Any warnings

Hitting a deer falls under comprehensive insurance.

Comprehensive insurance covers damages due to acts of God.

This includes things like hail damage, a tree limb falling on the vehicle, floods, hitting animals, anything where damage is caused where nobody is at fault.

You decide the deductible you want to pay when you take out the policy.

Most insurance companies don’t raise your rate for a comprehensive claim.

Tester

I like my agent. He finally gave up on annual check ups, teaching the over 50 course, and about the last five times I’ve dropped by, his office has been dark. Still the staff have been fine in his absence. He’s winding down I’m sure but they still bake hot chocolate chip cookies once a week.

I had a cracked windshield last time I stopped by. No muss no fuss. About 5 minutes and arranged everything with the installer. I did notice about a $40 increase in my premium though this time. Haven’t analyzed the increase though so suspect it’s the high cost of auto repairs like everything else. Everyone else seems to be taking a 10% bite out of me so my 2% increase is not covering it.

You are absolutely correct that you decide how much deductible coverage you are willing to pay for, but it is still the insurance company that decide what the cost of your comprehensive will be…

For example, you and your twin brother live in the same house and like a lot of twins, you drive the same make and model of car, you both work at the same location and drive about the same mileage each year, but your brother has already claimed hail damage, a cracked windshield, and a deer strike to the front bumper and I am willing you and your twin will be paying quite a bit difference to get the comprehensive coverage…

The jury is still out on when your comprehensive coverage might see an increase due to claims made against your coverage…

Its safest to have the airbag work done by a pro. But if you want to see if you can do the job yourself, suggest to surf over to the Nissan website, or stop by a dealership. They may offer a short term, relatively inexpensive, single-car subscription to their repair-instructions (service data) database. Then you can follow their instructions carefully, step and step.

1 Like

Warning, don’t do it!

1 Like

He already did. Just needs the pcm or whatever reset. Dealer wants $200.

Well, since we switched to MN State flag, either the Hamm’s Beer Bear or the Grain Belt beer sign?

You could check the YouTube videos to see if it’s something you would want to try.

Too late. He already did it and lived.

Perhaps just as important if not more so, will it work if he needs it… Was it installed correctly?

Needed to be reprogrammed yet by the dealer for $200. Guess you never know for sure.

2 Likes

I’ve R&R’d hundreds of air bags in steering wheels, or more so swapped out the steering wheels as well as R&R’d many dash bags while working under a dash for whatever reason… They are NOT hard, just nuts and bolts and a plug… Heck I used to do it with the car running, A/C blasting and the car radio blaring…
Programming is a different animal though, when replacing the sensors and stuff…

1 Like

lol … I used to replace circuit boards on a very expensive high-tech instrument w/out turning it off too. Damage would have cost over $20k to repair. But I knew how.

1 Like

In the Air Force, we have rules, regulations, operating instructions, and protocols, just to name a few… When I found personnel exercising “free spirit” work and failing to follow the guidance or instructions, they lost their job… We did not have the luxury to have a $20,000 piece of equipment destroyed, or someone life’s put at risk for “bragging rights…”

@George_San_Jose1, you can get away with a lot if you are the only one in the lab.

Like they say there is the right way, the wrong way and the army way. I think we were at fort hood for summer camp and were had five teletypes that needed work. We needed parts for them. The regular army kid in charge of the shop ( I think we outranked him but it was his shop) would not let us cannabilize the 5 th machine to get the other four fixed. He said order the parts. Fine but when the parts come in we’ll be long gone. Don’t know if he ever got
them going. Wars were won by taking initiative.
Teletypes aren’t machine guns in the field though so the answer might have been different then.

Yep, when a President wanted to increase productivity the AF interpreted that as increasing paperwork, like converting (rewriting) SOPs to regulations.

There seemed to always be quite a few new-hires among the corporate engineering lab staff, recruited directly from their prior military job. These folks were unusually organized, and this organizational ability – by this I mean the desire to follow written protocols, keeping the electronic test equipment calibrated, and generally keeping stuff in its place so it was possible to find – this effort contributed much to the company achieving its engineering-team goals. Some of these folks however had a difficult time adjusting to the high-tech engineering lab environment, which tends to focus on getting the job done quickly as possible, and places organization at a lower priority…

I noted the same type of thing in the whole disaster management response manual where the structure is more important than filling the voids in a response. In conversations with them, the feds are clueless when it comes to flexibility on the front lines. The structure is everything. Hawaii is a good example where they can’t identify who was in charge and no one stepped in to fill the void in leadership, but they had a plan.

I’m still awaiting to here a plan to address the lack of PPE problem that occurred. It seems like common sense to use warehouses as a PPE buffer, manufacturer’s sell their PPE products to the warehouses, and the healthcare providers purchase the PPE they need from the warehouses. There’s always a reserve of fresh PPE. The solutions I’m hearing are to fill warehouses w/PPE, and then if there’s no emergency, trash it and buy new when it reaches its expiration date.