Replace timing chain, chain guides and timing chain tensioner along with timing cover gasket?

Hi there I’m not sure if your a mechanic or not but I have 2 questions. If you could help that would be great.
I have a car the timing belt went out. It also comes with the water pump. So I replaced both parts. Then the shop heard a noise from the motor. I replaced that and the car started and then shut off. Could you possibly tell me what’s wrong with it.
My second question is is it worth buying a 04 jeep with 150k it needs a transmission, timing cover and a fuel pump. $900 for the car. $500 for the transmission and no charge for the other stuff.

I wonder if that chain was changed by now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the comments about short sighted customers coming back on mechanics when the customer chooses to skimp on the repair. I work on computers and deal with these people all the time. It has gotten to the point where I don’t even give them the option of doing a lesser repair because they end up being pains. I would rather tell them to get lost and not have their business than deal with their crap over trying to save a few dollars. Besides, business is booming and I can barely keep up with my good paying customers so that nonsense is just an annoyance/distraction.

Anyway, I think replacing the timing set is a good idea as well AS LONG AS IT IS A QUALITY AFTERMARKET OR THE OEM PARTS!!! I would rather stick with what you have rather than cheap parts store crap from China. If the car is in good shape, then do it. Pay the extra for the real stuff if you plan to keep the car for a while. Toyotas are known for running forever so it is probably money well spent. If it is rusted out and you can see through the floor I wouldn’t even bother. I might not even bother with the initial repair and just keep adding oil. I don’t like that kind of pollution though from oil leakers and especially the burners which leave a nasty cloud.

Remember there is likely a lot of labor. I do not know what is all in the way as I am not familiar with this car but often many things need to be removed and reinstalled during repairs such as this.

I once did a DIY repair for a friend on a Dodge 3.9L with a stretched timing chain. It needed a new water pump and I replaced that for them. I told them that they needed the upgraded timing set as the chain was severely stretched and banging into the timing cover (well-known problem). They didn’t want to spend the extra $100 and told me to just leave it taken apart. It was sitting in my front yard and I told them I didn’t want that so put it back together without changing the timing set. The MOPAR OEM parts were only $100 for everything at the time I was working on it. They later told me that they wished I had changed it. It was TOO LATE especially when I did the labor for free.

2 Likes