Repair first or just trade in?

Now that Irlandes has got us talking about full sized american body on frame cars . . .

That reminds me of Rick

A few years ago, he said he bought a Caprice, late 80s, I want to say, just to prove that the old technology was better

I think they had drum brakes at least in the rear so that would make sense.

1 Like

The Pontiac wasn’t available with the 5.7 L engine, the Caprice sedan was with the “Police” package.

The Parisienne wagon with the 305 CID engine was rated at 20 MPG highway.
With the 307 CID engine; 22 MPG
With the Diesel engine; 26 MPG
The 1986 sedan with the V-6 engine; 23 MPG.

24 MPGs isn’t unbelievable if that person drove the speed limit in 1986.

Generally speaking, you will not recover the cost of repairs on a trade-in. You are also probably underestimating the cost of body repairs.

It’s impossible for me to say with any degree of certainty because (unless I missed it…) you have yet to reveal the year, model, mileage, or the condition of the rest of the car.
An SS may be worth doing something;a base model may not.

Okay, I knew I wasn’t sure of the motor. However, it was not 1986 but quite a few years later, in the 90’s. And, it was very explicitly at 70 mph. Since I got out of the Army in 1966 I have not driven hard.

This guy was one of those whose cars run better than anyone’s. His dog is smarter than anyone’s. In fact, his pet dogs were smarter then ANYONE. So, you might believe he got 24 mpg at 70 with his big old wagon. I knew him and I did not believe it.

A friend of mine bought an old motor home, and discussed putting in a generator. This same man told him he needed at least 6000 watts. My friend lived in the bad part of town and had in his house one 30 amp fuse for the whole house, TV, hair dryers and all. Yet this clown told him he needed a 6 KW generator for an old motor home to camp in the woods and run a small TV or radio or whatever he wanted to do.