Rebuilding a 71 Dart

Go to Jay Lenos Garage and look at what HE has sitting around . . . '71 Demon. Rocketman

Now you’ve got me searching the web for Darts or Dusters for sale. Man would I love to have a Dart Lite or a Feather Duster. Or a Demon. Swinger. GTS. Nice cars. Rocketman

Same here. I sold mine with 120k to a friend, and he used it until someone totalled it at 140k. Could easily have gone much longer.

I’m in Virginia Beach and would love to learn from you all. All of these comments are very helpful, I’m sure that I will have plenty more questions. Are there any sure fire tools that you would suggest getting? I have a lot of tools already, along with a floor jack, jack stands, and all that other stuff. Thanks! It should get here tomorrow or the next day and then I will have more specific questions.

Could you post a picture of it when you get it? Rocketman

I guess the most sure fire helpful tools I could recommend are books on restoration, autobody repair, and stuff like that from the local bookstore.

Your most valuable tool will be knowledge.

I will definitely do that…thanks for all the advice

thank you for the advice…I will be sure to keep everyone updated on my progress and I am going to go buy a few books.

I picked up a 68 Dart a few years back. It only had 68k on it and very little rust.
Unless you got some kind of special edition with a big block these cars are not ever
gonna be worth a lot exept to Dart lovers. You might consider rat rodding it which is what I’m doing with mine. My car was originally gold (yuck) and the previous owner had it painted brown (double yuck). I got a gallon of rustolium black and a 7" foam roller and now it’s black and shiny! Since yours isn’t running you already have your first priority. My experience with my Dart has taught me that even with low miles time still did it’s damage. Check your brakes. And I mean master and wheel
cylinders. Those rubber seals and o rings just were not designed to last 30 plus years. Also, be carefull with the wiring. Wires and insulation gets brittle over time. Something I have found most usefull is taking a picture of something before you take it apart. Books are great but they don’t have every detail.

Thanks for the advice! I have bought the Collector Car Restoration Bible and am reading a lot about restoring older cars, but I definetly agree with you about them not having every detail. I am sure that I will be posting a lot more.

I had the fever to restore an old car over 30 years ago. I purchased a 1948 Dodge. These flathead engines were even simpler than the one on your 1971. I had the engine running well. I had to replace a rear fender–these bolted on. I had one shipped to me to the midwset from Colorao. I replaced the fender, but the car needed more bodywork and painting. I was driving the car down the street and someone offered me more than I had in the car. I grabbed the cash and ran. Restoring old cars can be expensive, but it was fun while it lasted.

That could take DAYS.