Reasonable to Even Repair or Sell?

My dad had a car much like this once. And, then one day he put a sheep dip tank on the roof BY HIMSELF and drove it home a mile and a half. Seriously.

WHAT? I know there’s a joke in there somewhere.

Check and make sure that the “open” part of the hook is matching up with the rod that it is suppose to engage. I’m thinking the crash into the drivers side rear, may have moved the quarter panel over enough to also move the trunk lid and could have put it out of line. Best way to look is to get in the trunk and use a flashlight. BE SURE and have someone standing by in case you get locked in! God forbid this would be the one time the damn thing would work correctly.
IF it aligns exactly where it is suppose to, then I would check the motor fuse, and wireing is secure and not disconnected. Fuses are cheap to replace. While you’re at it secure your fuse box back up under the dash. Swinging fuse boxes cause all sorts of electrical problems.

Better yet, donate this creampuff through Car Talk’s web site to benefit your local NPR station (and give the rest of us responsible drivers a break!).