Really want to get an EV - good idea? Too much work?

@kmccune, if the boss doesn’t pay overtime, why don’t you bust him? I assume that you are a no exempt employee. All hourly workers are, and many lower paid salaried workers are too. If you have clear cases where he forced people to work for no overtime pay, he could be in line for some fat fines. I believe that you can do this anonymously.

Actually JT,the way He does it is legal,He will work people 10+ hour days and not pay any overtime till till after 40 hrs,most of the the other contractors will pay OT for over eight,per diem-which actually works out the same for a full 50 hr week,anyrate His OT is about the standard rate and if you get too many hours and work isnt pushing,He will suggest that you take a day or so off/He keeps the company personal at the minimum so He doesnt have to offer insurance.
But I cant be choosey,with the big’F’ on my resume ,Lowes and companies like that wont hire me-Kevin

Free ? Maybe not in the near future. But what other “fuel” has the potential to be free. Solar cells alone aren’t up to the task but what a thought if they were. The ultimate flex fuel vehicle ! It would be nice to live in the sunbelt next to a river where winds never stop blowing.

Actually, all fuels are free, the cost is in delivering them to the customer. When you buy a ton of coal, you essentially pay the people who dug it out of the ground for you and delivered it to you.
Until solar cells and windmills just appear for free, solar and wind energy are going to cost money. Until we don’t need to build and maintain transmission lines to deliver power, it’s going to cost money.

Actually, I have said this for a few years now,electricity really has the potential to become cheaper,while most other “fuels” do not,the bad thing about electricity is the grid dependence.
I really wish people would learn how to use less energy,I have a friend who went from a 13mpg pickup to a 50 mpg Prius,now she really takes the trips-Kevin

The beauty of charging up an EV at night means that the power use would be more even, and electric utilities would not need the very high installed power to meet peaks to provide the same amount of energy.

The problem with that comes when EVs become more popular. When more and more people start charging their EVs at night, they’ll create ANOTHER peak time without realizing it.

That is a long, long, way off.

It’ll be here before we know it. How long has it been since the Prius debuted and made hybrids a mainstream thing? 10~15 years now? Don’t seem that long ago, does it?
With advances in technology, EVs could become mainstream in a few years.

Norway is the first country where 1% of cars on the road are EVs. Heavily subsidized and 90% hydro power and being allowed to use the bus-only lanes made it happen. Now the bus lanes are clogged and the bus riders are complaining. At 5:00 pm when they all plug in, the electric grid is close to maxed out. It doesn’t take many to bring out the problems.