Read RPMs from OBD2 Port?

My “serious cash” threshold is a lot lower, but just off the top of my head I cannot remember seeing one that would monitor RPMs real time for less than $500. Perhaps I need to get out more, I don’t know. I forgot that there are now APs for PCs that allow OBD2 plugin to be processed on the computer… or even a smart phone.

Once you get into the thousands you’re talking about professional level analyzers that can map and graph and store real time data for a multiple of parameters. That’s well beyond what I understood the OP to be seeking.

I think now that the thread has evolved that the OP’s only real problem may be normal power loss that could be expected in an old engine. These engines weren’t overpowered anyway, and it may have just lost the poop it needs to downshift at highway speeds. The torque curve has probably dropped off a bit, and the tranny control module doesn’t bother to downshift when passing on the highway anymore. A good tuneup, perhaps an assessment of the engine’s wear (thus the compression test suggestion) might be much more valuable to the OP than an analyzer.

Or maybe its performance is perfectly normal. Perhaps I should have asked if this vehicle was new to the OP?

jAdams54 asked,
“Is it possible to hook up something to the OBD2 port that would read the RPM’s? I ask because I am trying to figure out if the tachometer is showing the true RPM’s - which I think it is not. Is there a portable tachometer that is cheap or possibly something that attaches to a usb for a laptop?”

the same mountainbike said,
“An engine analyzer will do that. Try any parts store. Bring your wallet.
They’ll probably be hanging from the same rack as the lesser OBD2 scanners.”

Hold on! My Actron OBD2 scanners ARE inexpensive and Do read and report RPM and a myriad of other information, including other live engine data! They are not expensive engine analyzers.

Honda Blackbird (excerpts) said,
“Mtnbike said it… He is correct.”
“For instance if it was a VW/Audi product you could use your laptop…”
“For most other makes however you need to take Mtnbikes advice…and like he said…bring serious cashish with you. What you are getting into with that is Professional Tool territory.”

“CSA…Serious cash for me starts around $7K ? Some of those snap on Pro Scan tools exceed this… that is what i was referring to. I’m not too familiar with what the lower end simple scan tools can do…but it is certainly possible that some could monitor this…I dunno?”

“I thought you were talking about a Sunnen Pro or Snap on Scan tool / computer. Ha”

@Honda Blackbird
I’m not sure what you are saying. The question asked by jAdams54 was brief and straight forward, I thought.

Although I usually value your opinions and information and also that of SMB, I was pointing out that the advice you guys gave was not very helpful to jAdams54 and in my opinion was actually wrong. There’s a huge difference between $70 and $7,000!

I was merely correcting it for his/her benefit. Does that make sense?
CSA

CSA, I’m sure the OP will be happy to have that information. I know I am.
Oddly enough, I just used an Actron CP9185 a few days ago. I was only looking for stored codes, however.

The OP had questions about this vehicle June, July and Sept of 2015 concerning starting problems, overheating and noisy starter. The RPM gauge sounds like the least of their problems.

Perhaps. But we’re not here to keep score. We’re here to offer help when asked. At least I am. For all we know, this is an entirely different car.

The Linear Logic ones BLE references above are $100-200.

Sure CSA…you are making sense. Ive been unawares of lesser cost scanners functionality for some time now. I dont mean that as an affront to anyones scanner use…nor am I being a too or scanner whore with my comment. I was just offering advice…to be taken how one takes free advice.

I think I’m just surprised to hear that the lower end Actrons let you see engine RPM…for a LONG time this was not the case. How do I know? Because I have a Graveyard of old crappy scanners. This was the basis of why I thought you needed more computer to handle that function.

The lower prices units were primarily for just reading and clearing codes…obviously they are becoming more sophisticated… Hey if they work and perform the function…knock yourself out absolutely nada wrong with that at all.

But for a very long time this was not the case…which is why I moved way way up the spectrum…once you move up…you rarely go backward. SO my ignorance here is generated from this occurence. Im happy to know the simple scanners can handle engine rpms now…i mean its not that difficult of an output to provide…since its exits within the OBD2 output… There are other methods of obtaining engine rpm however. Personally I never cared much about Rpm…my ear is my Rpm monitor most often.

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong…im just not familiar with the simple scanners anymore…they have ceased to serve my needs…so if they are “a Comin up lately”…I wouldn’t really know.

Feel free to hit the Demerit button at anytime and I will provide the OP with a full refund for my temporarily nonesensical answer…hey happens to the best of us sometimes. I havent played with a scanner with less than 4 digits in its price in a long while…so I guess Im useless on this topic.

Blackbird

I will say one thing about the simple scanners, which you can buy in pepboys, autozone, etc.

They are EXTREMELY limited, as far as being bidirectional

Okay for reading/clearing SOME codes, mode 6 data if you’re lucky, read the VIN, etc. In many cases, manufacturer-specific codes will not even be read, even if the mil is staring you in the face.

Meaning you can’t really command any component on/off

The most I’ve seen is that SOME cheapo scanners can initiate an evap service bay test.

Here’s another thing I’ve noticed . . . the cheapo scanners usually have pretty small screens. As we get older, it’s important to have a bigger screen.

That would be a severe limitation of an app . . . no matter how powerful the app, you’re still staring at that small screen, straining your eyes and getting a headache