Radiator flush 2001

Is it overkill to do so?

Is that from a 4.3 or 2.2?

The image was taken from the engine block of a 2001 Sonoma.

Tester

I’m wondering if that’s a four cylinder

Waiting for others thoughts, but you got 6 quarts out of the radiator, flush it real well until there is only water, add 6 quarts antifreeze and you have a 50/50 mix.

I think youre right barkeydog

i found the damn plug. You hav to go in through the wheel well

I just didnt want to leave any chemicals from the flush

1 Like

I talked to the waste water treatment plant, they said the bugs that break down stuff love antifreeze, You can pull a lower radiator hose to make draining faster, do not dump in a storm sewer or into a yard. Dumping into a toilet I was told was fine.

1 Like

I’m doing a dump run tomorrow. I have like 20 jugs of car fluids going. I ended up jacking up the back end and I got a lot more out

1 Like

My next door neighbor worked at our town wastewater treatment plant. He too told me that coolant in the sanitary sewer is no problem, it is easily processed.

My first 3 cars had petcocks on each side of the block, all of the later ones I assume have just removable bolts.

I have been doing just as barkeydog does. Drain and dispose of everything I can and just keep adding water until it runs clear. then I add enough full strength coolant to get a 50%mix.

Don’t know what I wil do with my 8 1/2 year old Camry, the factory fill is good for 10 years, but if you replace it with the same coolant it is good for only 5.

The trouble is the factory $40 , super long life antifreeze is only available as a 50/50 mix.

The way I see it , I have 3 choices, buy the factory stuff, drain what I can and wind up replacing only about half the coolant.

Go someplace with a coolant exchange machine
and trust that it really replaces all the coolant. I,m skeptical.

Drain and flush until it runs clear and refill with Prestone Universal full strength.

Right now I am leaning toward the Prestone.

I think youre right

Toyota engines have block drains, attach a hose and loosen a brass plug.

Thanks for the advice. I did not know that Toyota used brass plugs, this car has needed so little attention in the last 8 1/2 years I have done nothing but brakes, oil changes and replaced a washer pump. When I do the oil change I look for leaks and eye the CV boots but that is about it. I know that I was surprised to be able to get a brake bleeder open after 7 years in our climate, I have had new cars I could not open after 3 years.