Puzzler about which side of the car the gas cap is on

ken, your car has TWO gas caps? that is strange…

With one on each side, why would you have to stretch the hose?

Because it depends if he is filling one or both tanks.

Fords with dual tanks had both tanks on the same side of the truck. Chevys were left and right.

OK, dual tanks, that is the key.

O.K…to clarify…1979 Chevy pickup, short stepside 4x2 350 / thm350.
The last gas I put in three years ago was near $4.00 !
Now that it’s $1.96 I figure it’s time to put more…WITH Staybil.
People waiting in line are too impatient to wait for me to turn around the truck.

@BillRussell
"I seem to recall some taxicabs that had been modified to have a gas cap in the center above the rear bumper. Have no idea why."

I believe Checker cars/taxi cabs had the filler in the back (not modified, but rather, from the factory), toward the driver’s side, but I have no idea why.

CSA

HOW ABOUT THE 57 CHEVY THE CAP IS BEHIND THE TAILIGHT ON LEFT SIDE

HOW ABOUT THE 57 CHEVY THE CAP IS BEHIND THE TAILIGHT ON LEFT SIDE

Several vehicles had that setup. Cadillac for one.

My Olds and Acura with duals is on the left and my Pontiac is on the right. I think my Buicks were all on the left but my 81 Olds was behind the license plate where it belongs in my view. More than once I’ve had to pull around because I forgot what car I was in. Yeah I know that little arrow is there but who can see that thing?

I think some older Jaguars had a filler on both sides. To the same tank! You could be lazy and pull into the pumps any which way your heart desires!

I’m glad my 99 Monte Carlo is on the drivers side. I used to own a 1976 Chevy Impala (boat) and it was behind the license plate.

Really amazing that after 100 years the car manufacturers cannot standardize on this !!

@BillRussell
"Really amazing that after 100 years the car manufacturers cannot standardize on this !!"

Fuel filler location? We got rid of the horse in front, but what really amazes me is that after a hundred years we’re still using the I.C.E. and running on dead decayed and liquified dinosaurs and prehistoric plants and ocean creatures.
CSA

"I think some older Jaguars had a filler on both sides. To the same tank!"

Actually, those particular old Jags had two relatively small gas tanks, more or less like saddle bags on either side of the car. Each gas cap served one tank, and there was a switch on the dashboard to enable the driver to switch from one tank to the other. There were also two gas gauges.

There was a big debate in the gas siphoners local #273 about which side of the car the gas filler should be located. Some of the members wanted it on the left because one would be less likely to be seen by those living in the neighborhood while siphoning gas late at night. Others wanted it on the right where you would not be in danger of being hit by a passing vehicle.

It varies. Cars designed in right hand drive nations tend to have filler on right but not always. Here are ones I have owned.
1960 AH Sprite Mk 1
1960 MGA 1600 Roadster
1962 MGA 1600 Mk 2 Coupe: Right rear top.
1966 MGB Roadster: Right rear level.
1991 Mazda RX7
2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse: Right quarter panel.

1981 Mazda RX7
1996 Mazda Miata: Left quarter panel.

1982 Fiat/Bertone X19: Somewhere under plastic engine cover.

Cars designed in left hand drive nations tend to have filler on left or center.

1957 Chevrolet: above left tail light.

All other U.S. Left quarter panel or rear center behind license plate.

2010 Kia Forte: Left quarter panel.

It varies. Cars designed in right hand drive nations tend to have filler on right but not always. Here are ones I have owned.

Well that theory doesn’t hold.

All Japanese company vehicles we’ve owned the gas cap is on the Left…with the exception of my son’s Mazda…it’s on the right. My personal preference is which ever the driver side is.

“All Japanese company vehicles we’ve owned the gas cap is on the Left…with the exception of my son’s Mazda…it’s on the right”

All Subarus also have their gas filler on the right side.

Consumer Reports some years back thought the gas filler door should be on the right because a car was more apt to be hit on the left side. I don’t know if this is true or not.