Put ash trays back in cars and trucks!

Theres one Cup style ashtray that’s on the market that has a removable lighter built into it. For years cars have mostly only come with a 12V outlet and on certain Porsche’s the smokers package gets you an extra 12V outlet and a cover to a little tray that could be used for ashes, but it’s not removable for cleaning.

TAKAVU RR-2-3-1 Car Ashtray, Easy Clean Up Detachable Stainless Car Ashtray with Lid Blue Led Light and Removable Lighter for Most Car Cup Holder (Silver)

I can’t stand smokers or the smell of cigarettes, and I am glad that very few people consume this poison anymore. However, I agree that cars should include an ashtray, because the ashtray is useful for holding coins or napkins, etc. I also prefer such time-tested features as hand crank windows, manual-adjustment seats, non-touchscreen controls, non-touchscreen audio system, actual lock cylinders on the driver’s door, front passenger’s door, and trunk lid, etc.

1 Like

Some cars still have some sort of little cubby for coins and other items, of course my aunt found the coin holder on the dash of her 88 CRX long after she moved back from the northeast where she needed coins for the toll roads.

With keyless entry and keyless start you only get a lock cylinder on the driver’s door on many models. Even cars with key fob’s have a key that pulls out for when the battery dies in the fob. Or the car’s battery’s dead.

I don’t know if it’s a big litter issue but I think people just are not aware of the dangers. My girl friend back in 1966 informed me that it is not just where the butt lands on the road that is a problem but birds can be attracted to the tip and fly it to where a fire can start. Cured me.

2 Likes

A smoke jumper? You’re out of your mind! Thanks for being crazy, btw.

3 Likes

No, I wasn’t quite that heroic! Wild land firefighter type 2. Just a guy with a pulaski axe cutting firebreaks. The plane was just to get us closer to home. The fire was in Cimmarron (Ponil Creek fire, I think they called it). We rode an old school bus from Cimmarron to Albuquerque, flew to Asheville, NC, then flew a smaller plane back to Jackson, MS. Had to sit on the tarmac in Asheville and wait while they repaired something on the smaller plane’s landing gear.

I’ve been back to Asheville since then on vacation. Would really like to get back to Cimmarron and surrounding area some day.

The adult population are older now so more have COPD now from smoking or vaping and are on flammable oxygen or can’t drive at all.

No one answer for everything. Told my bud that is the reason for getting up in the morning!

100 year old credit smokes and booze for his long life | Bizarre: 100-year-old man from China says a lifetime of smoking & boozing is the secret to his longevity | Trending & Viral News.

1 Like

thats because all the BAD germs get to drunk to remember why they were their. LOL

2 Likes

The bottom line is that smoking has decreased dramatically over the past few decades. When I was younger, almost everyone smoked–constantly. Now, it is the exception to the rule. These are the current stats, courtesy of The CDC:

Current cigarette smoking is highest among people aged 25–44 years and 45–64 years. Current cigarette smoking is lowest among people aged 18-24 years.

• 8 of every 100 adults aged 18–24 years (8.0%)
  • Nearly 17 of every 100 adults aged 25–44 years (16.7%)
  • 17 of every 100 adults aged 45–64 years (17.0%)
  • About 8 of every 100 adults aged 65 years and older (8.2%)

I tried a cigarette when I was 6 years old when a playmate stole one from his parents. That was a monkey see, monkey do situation and I never touched one again my entire life.
Ash trays are turnpike quarter holders in my book.

If someone wants to smoke then have at it IMO. While the various government agencies rail on about the evils of smoking the last bunch of tobacco subsidies were in the 100 million dollars range.

2 Likes

My paternal grandfather smoked for most of his life right up until the hospital wouldn’t let him when he went in for the last time. Smoked while on the oxygen tank as well, which was the point that his friend would flee the house and check on him later. Hacking up a lung (probably literally) was so bad to witness that even though I’ve never smoked that would cure me of any desire right away. Made it to 87 even with all the tobacco with a mind sharp as a tack.

You let people smoke in your car? Not in a million years would I let someone pollute the inside of my car, and my car is a real POS.

We should hand out removable ashtrays at the same place people give clean needles to opiate addicts.

3 Likes

Man, people had some nerve back then. I remember once my father was giving these teenage girls a ride home, friends of my sister, and one of them lit up a cigarette in the back seat, surrounded by four children. Rather than ask her to put it out, my father offered her an ashtray.

1 Like

The school bus I rode in my elementary school days had ashtrays. After a hard day at school drilling on our multiplication tables, doing long division, working out story problems, practicing cursive writing, etc. we boarded the school bus, lit up a smoke, and unwound on the ride home.
Today, school buses don’t have ashtrays. Kids have no way to unwind. So that we don’t overload their brains since they have no way to unwind after a school day, they do the arithmetic on the calculator app on their smartphones. We don’t plague them with cursive writing. They text their assignments to the teacher with their smartphones. They don’t have to go look anything up in the library as there are no school libraries. Anything anyone needs to know can be Googled on the smartphone.
See what’s happened since we took the ashtrays out of the school buses and replaced learning with smartphones.

8 Likes

Heh heh, and Google and Wiki are never wrong. Back in the 60’s the movie theater in downtown Minneapolis had ash trays on the back of the seats. Airplanes still have the same GM models like I had in my 59 Pontiac but can’t use them anymore. Whoever made those things must have stamped out millions or billions of them.

A) Don’t smoke
B) Don’t associate with smokers
and 3) The butts will go out the window regardless of an ashtray or not.

Hmmm. One human out of 7 billion credits his age to smoking…

I saw a 105 year old guy interviewed once with the same question. His answer: “I didn’t smoke, drink, or chase women until I was 13.”

2 Likes

There is not one answer for all questions

2 Likes

A fellow who had taken his inheritance in cash and moved to the big city returned to his home town 40 years later, destitute. He hung out in the saloon, hoping to cadge drinks from people who wanted to hear his stories. The editor sent a young reporter to the saloon to get his story. The reporter asked him how he had spent all his money. He replied, ‘I spent some on wine, some on women; the rest I spent foolishly.’

1 Like