Pumping gas

Do you also count the asprin thablet in yhr bottle to make sure you get 500?

And if there’s only 499 aspirin tablets in that bottle . . . it’s time to take to social media, and DESTROY Bayer :fearful:

Because if there’s only 499 aspirin tablets in that bottle, Bayer is cheating us, and needs to be held accountable. Somebody needs to get fired :wink:

Seriously, though, I have a fairly high pain threshold. I actually don’t remember the last time I used a painkiller

Of course, when I get stitched, I don’t say no

But when I go to our clinic, when I get cut on the job, I never even open the painkiller bottle they give me to take home. I usually wind up giving it to somebody else

To make this car-related, I have a cdl. And traffic enforcement is fairly strict about cdl holders not having drugs in their system, because it could impair your judgement and reactions, depending on what it is and how powerful it is

I find it hard to believe there is 1/3 of a gallon in the hose. Most of the hoses now are fairly short unless at a truck diesel pump.

I find it hard to believe we’re still discussing this . . . :weary:

It’s also the volume in all the piping from from the valve that changes the gas type through the pump to the hose.

The answer to the question is “nunya”. As in “Nunya business”. If there were any news here it would have broken ahead of the VW scandal. Next topic!!!

I remember in 1970 a few cheapskates insisted you lift the hose to get that minuscule amount of gas in their tank. Leaded regular was $0.25 per gallon!

I remember a whiskey distiller in our area who produced it in bulk for other private brand packagers. The stuff was transported by tanker truck and the night shift employees always drained the last bit from the hose into their thermos bottles after filling up the truck.

25 cents may seem like a trivial amount now, but a well paying job had an annual salary of about $5000. I started work as an engineer in 1974, and my salary was about $7500.

@jtsanders Yes, my first engineering job in 1960 paid a whole $5200 per year but included a good health care package and pension plan. A new VW Beetle then sold for $1750, I believe.

This is at least the second time this topic has been brought up since I started visiting car talk.

For me, it has nothing to do with money. I have a motorcycle that requires premium grade fuel and with a 2 gallon tank, it needs fuel every day I ride it in to work. Mixing pumps are a PITA for me when I ride that bike. The dilution is enough to make a notable difference in how the bike runs. Had plenty of chances verify that over the years and experiment with alternatives. For that bike, I have to go get gas with the car and take a spare can along for the bike. Start filling car with premium and then switch to fill the spare can with unadulterated premium. Two bike fill ups per can and start the process over again…before mixing pumps completely displaced single fuel pumps, it was a pleasure to ride that bike. Now it’s a major hassle…so I ride it infrequently or at least less than I would prefer…

TwinTurbo wrote:
For that bike, I have to go get gas with the car and take a spare can along for the bike.

You could offer the car on the other side of the pump a free quart (or whatever it takes) of gas to get the hose cleared out, then fill your bike after that. That’ll cost you a dollar or so, but that seems easier than messing with the gas can each time.

@lion9car

Interesting idea. Hadn’t occurred to me because using pumps is a lot like the elevator. People go out of their way not to make eye contact :wink: Not sure what kind of reception I might get asking someone if I can dispense a 1/2 gallon of fuel into their tank. Hoses would reach here even though they are opposite corners from side to side. Most stations have the hoses that go up to around 8’ high and back down to the pump. I might try your suggestion next time and see how it goes. Thanks!

Pumping gas is a moment when you have to stop whatever it was you were doing and just stand there next to your vehicle and wait. It’s not long enough to figure out what else to do, so you just stand there and start wondering about random stuff (Unless you are yammering on your cell phone!). I’ll bet this idea that I’m getting someone else’s choice of gas in the hose came up during one of those 5 minute moments of gas station thoughts.

Thanks a million sarge. Yup, that’s the chassis! And those in the attached link show the tanks & pumping systems!
http://www.bing.com/search?q=army+hemtt+truck&form=PRUSEN&pc=U146&mkt=en-us&refig=57507c49b8c24012a77324af4b1fe323&qs=PA&pq=army+hem&sk=OS1PA3&sc=8-8&sp=5&cvid=57507c49b8c24012a77324af4b1fe323

What about just carrying some octane booster and putting a little in to make up for any discrepancy if you feel it’s needed?