Pulling forward through a parking spot to park

at least we found something to disagree about in this thread, its been one big hugfest otherwise…

Okay, here’s another potential “bone of contention”: related to, in addition to, handicap parking spaces, restaurants have been putting these handicapped stickers on tables and bathrooms.

Now, is this a “reserved for handicapped” sign, or a “handicapped accessible” sign? I’ve been operating as if it’s the latter: I’ll sit elsewhere, if a seat is available, but if none is available (or is foul, or otherwise undesirable) I don’t treat the sign as prohibiting its use by others.

So, am I in the wrong, or not? In my defense, I’ll cite handicapped placards on a one-stall bathroom…so either you use the placarded toilet, or you hold it!

Whitey, What’s your point?

meanjoe75fan Hey! If the parking space fits wear it. I consider a Ford F-150 to be a sensible pickup. My problem is with something like a Ford F-350 quad cab that ends up blocking half of the narrow driveway which is the reason for the compact parking spaces.

meanjoe75fan Handicap parking spaces are very different. They are protected by law. I have never seen a "reserved for handicapped " restaurant table and have to assume it would have extra space to accommodate wheelchairs. Those would be an option for the restaurant owner. The restroom signs advertise “handicap accessible”.

@meanjoe75fan, I was going to say something about how fitting your large vehicle between the lines of a compact space doesn’t necessarily leave room for other people to get in and out of their cars. Then I decided not to waste my time trying to explain what I thought was obvious.

There was a time when we regulars could argue a point of etiquette, sometimes in a heated manner, and work our way to resolve conflict. Now this forum is a place where I’m afraid to say what I think for fear of starting a flame war, so I only speak up when I feel most compelled.

@meanjoe75fan: “I like the fact that the ‘most likely to be on somebody else’s ignore list’ is the most vocal champion of an ignore list.”

It’s clear I’ve alienated a lot of you regulars that I used to enjoy arguing with, so I’ve decided it would be best if I stop posting here. I wish there was a way to delete my account so I’m not tempted to come back. @cdaquila, please do everyone a favor and block my account. I’d delete it if I could.

whitey don t do that. I regret how I handled our differences. my only advice would to be nicer to new posters so that we keep them coming back. the regulars can handle it and will tell you to go jump in a lake if need be.

@Whitey:

[Edited for intensity]:

I’m sorry that you feel that way, but you’ve brought a lot of it upon yourself. You expect to be snarky towards others (like me) more or less at will, and that you will get zero “snark-back” in return. That’s not the way the world works!

I could care less if you make smart remarks as a rule, but do requisition yourself some thicker skin, should you feel so inclined.

OK guys…a ‘‘compact only’’ parking space is NOT…is NOT a single pre-defined size.
anywhere.

It’s simply relative to the line painters in that lot and the space left over…period.

At the Coronado Mall in Albuquerque there are some trees with curbs around them which makes the facing spaces …shorter.
In some rows they measured out spaces beginning at one end , and when the got to the other there was about a half of a space left ! In that row they made three spaces ‘‘compact’’ and voila’ , a cohesive looking row.
There’s still another row with a ‘’ motorcycle’’ space.

It’s all different wherever you go.

At my Wal Mart there are no compact spaces.

At my Lowe’s grocery they’re ALL COMPACT , NARROW spaces…some economy stripe painter measured along the center line, as if for perpendicular lines…then ANGLED the stripes ! ( which instantly narrowed every space )

The point about “compact cars only” is not simply about fitting between the lines. It’s about like sized vehicles being side by side. Obviously, the big truck wedged in there can see over the compact car to back out. The same cannot be said of the compact car. It has to inch out and risk a collision. I suppose if all you have ever driven were larger vehicles, it might not be completely obvious…

OK guys…a ‘‘compact only’’ parking space is NOT…is NOT a single pre-defined size.
anywhere. It’s simply relative to the line painters in that lot and the space left over…period.

The compact only spots are clearly labeled in paint at the entrance to the box, or have a sign at the head of the space around here.

In my original post I thought I made it clear that my problem was having giant SUVs and pick-ups blocking my back-up view in compact only parking spaces. I noted that these spaces were not by law enforceable. They are at the discretion of the property owner who can have them towed and impounded. The spaces I was addressing were angled and not narrow they were very short lengthwise due to a narrow 2 way driveway. A Suburban, Ford “Excresion”, F-350 crew cab etc in these spaces blocks the vision of anyone parked in these spaces attempting to back out and blocks half of the driveway. Many drivers of these vehicles have a “I’m bigger and smaller vehicles must yield to me attitude”. A rule of the road is that right of way always goes to the bigger vehicle. I conform to that rule of the road but retain the right to hate the few giant SUV/Giant pickup drivers with this attitude.

@Whitey: Please don’t give up. You have very good counter points.

I always pull through after an incident I had 10 years ago with a new car I had just bought 2 weeks before. I was backing out at a shopping center and while I had been inside the supermarket 2 huge SUV’s had pulled in on either side. Some dope came charging through the lot much faster than they should have and struck the back of my new car. So never again will I back out.

I had the same thing almost happen to me a few days ago. Really spooked me when a car came through that row much faster than expected while I was backing up slowly. Thankfully I saw them coming in time to stop. Glad I didn’t have to test the crash performance of my new car.